Researcher to Innovator
YOUR RESEARCH CAN HAVE MASSIVE IMPACT BEYOND A TRADITIONAL ACADEMIC PATH. IN THE RESEARCHER TO INNOVATOR PROGRAM, YOU'LL LEARN HOW TO GET YOUR BIG IDEAS OUT INTO THE WORLD.
Monash researchers (Masters by Research students, PhDs, PostDocs, and Monash Academic staff) are invited to take part in the Researcher to Innovator Program to:
- Understand the different commercialisation pathways
- Learn how to evaluate the commercial opportunity in your research
- Understand the basics of intellectual property (IP) and the types of strategies used to commercialise IP
- Learn how to evaluate ideas with your market and your customers
- Learn how to communicate value and impact in a commercial world
- Understand the essentials of funding - from grants through to venture capital
- Develop a commercialisation plan throughout the program
- Meet other researchers and experts at Monash as part of the growing innovation community
Bonus: At the end of the program, you will also have the opportunity to pitch your project to a panel of investors and get valuable feedback on further developing your idea.
Applications are now open for the March/April 2023 program, and will close 11.59pm Monday 27 February 2023.
MEET THE EXPERTS
Callum Benson - New Ventures Manager at Monash Innovation. Early employee of Cambridge University startup
Fiona Lewis - Facilitator and startup program expert
Ben Ting - Advisor on technology development strategies
Helena Fern - Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Lead at Monash University
Jordan Thurgood - New Ventures Advisor and Founder of two startups
Peter Laurie - Entrepreneur in Residence at Monash Generator
Maria Harrison Smith - Senior Manager of Intellectual Property at Monash University
...plus many more
IS RESEARCHER TO INNOVATOR RIGHT FOR YOU?
This is the right fit if you...
- Are a PhD, Post-Doc or Researcher currently at Monash University
- Have a genuine interest in taking your idea or research down a commercial pathway
- Have already taken some steps to exploring this, from googling how to start a company, speaking with potential partners or customers or developing prototypes of your idea (napkin sketch through to functional prototype or event a patent pending)
- Have been struggling to find a community that supports entrepreneurial ventures in research
- Are motivated to work on your idea, make progress and build your unique commercialisation plan
Think this is a program you can pop in and out of? Think again.
We commit to…
Delivering the most relevant content and exercises to you week in, week out to help you be in a much stronger position on your commercial pathway at the end of the program. We will bring in the best people, we will make sure this is an open and inclusive forum to ask any questions and most importantly, we will be relentlessly focused on your journey as a researcher to becoming an innovator.
You commit to…
- Turning up every week with an open mindset accepting that there’s a lot to learn about how to commercialise your research and we’re here to help.
- Commit to your cohort to share your learning, hold each other accountable and progress your idea.
- Turning up on time, every week and put your work and research aside each session to fully focus on this.
- Own your learning journey fully. This means using the resources available to you throughout the program, such as one-on-one coaching, bonus workshops, pitching classes and many, many resources!
- Most importantly, you commit to exploring the commercial pathway of your research with great intent, even if the answer at the end of the program is that it’s maybe not the right path for you… knowing that you gave it your all.
- ONE 90-minute Masterclass every week
- ONE 45-minute group session (Zoom or real life - you choose!) to go through the homework and share learnings
- One-on-one coaching with a program facilitator/expert
- Bonus workshops that deep dive into commercialisation topics
- Pitch coaching workshop with feedback from experts
- Pitch to investors (see note below)
Bonus Investor Pitch
Projects will be invited in the investor pitch held at the end of the program based on their desire to pitch, their progress and attendance throughout the program. You must attend at least one pitch practice session, you cannot skip masterclasses, fail to make progress on your project or ignore the advice of the experts and expect a place to pitch to the investors.
|Applications close||Monday 27 February 2023, 11.59pm|
|Week 1 Session||Thursday 16 March, 11am-2pm|
|Week 2 Session||Thursday 23 March, 11am-12.30pm|
|Week 3 Session||Thursday 30 March, 11am-12.30pm|
|Week 4 Session||Thursday 6 April, 11am-12.30pm|
|Bonus: Investor Pitch||Thursday 20 April, 11am-1pm|
R2I: COMMERCIALISATION MASTERCLASS
Not sure if Researcher to Innovator is right for you? Want a chance to get a feel for the commercialisation space before jumping all in?The Monash New Ventures Team and Monash Generator will also be running a Commercialisation Masterclass throughout the year specifically designed for researchers to explore what commercialisation looks like at Monash University or are working on a project that has commercial potential. We strongly encourage anyone looking to apply to the Researcher to Innovator program participate in one of these Masterclass prior to the program.
The following topics will be covered in each Masterclass:
- Competitive advantage
- Intellectual Property
- Commercialisation pathways including licensing, spinouts and consulting, and
- Time for Q+A
These free, 90 minute sessions will primarily be held in-person at the Monash Generator co-working space on Clayton campus, with the occasional virtual session.
These Masterclasses are currently only open to Monash researchers (including PhD students, Masters by Research students, PostDocs and Academic staff) and Monash Professional staff. If you are interested in participating but don’t fit into the eligibility criteria, please contact Fiona Lewis (email@example.com). You do not need to be actively working on a project that has commercial potential to participate in these Masterclasses.
|R2I: Commercialisation Masterclass (In-person)||Tuesday 24 Jan, 11am-12.30pm|
|R2I: Commercialisation Masterclass (In-person)||Thursday 16 Feb, 11am-12.30pm|
|R2I: Commercialisation Masterclass (Online)||Thursday 23 Feb, 11am-12.30pm|
These Masterclasses are free to attend, however places are limited so make sure to register: https://events.humanitix.com/researcher-to-innovator-masterclass
You’ll get first hand practical skills in how to conduct commercial research, how to look at your IP, how to communicate your idea in a commercial way, building a roadmap for developing your idea and applying startup principles to research commercialisation.
We've got an amazing team of experts from various fields and backgrounds who will be delivering the program. See our experts section above to see some of the people involved in delivering this year's program.
No. The program expenses have been covered by Monash Innovation and the Generator as their ongoing commitment to develop commercial and innovation skills in our researchers.
Yes you do. The program is based on taking an idea (it can be as early as a napkin sketch or as advanced as a prototype and patent) and developing the commercial plan around this over six weeks. The content does not work for researchers who don’t have a tangible idea and are just interested in this space. However, there are plenty of great workshops and events run through the Generator that are great for curious researchers to learn more about entrepreneurship. You can check them out here.
Yes, absolutely. We do our best to match you in the right groups. Being in smaller groups helps broaden your understanding of different commercial pathways, holds you accountable to progress and helps you further embed your learning. It is the secret sauce of the program so participation is essential.
Yes you can. If you are accepted into the program, you can opt to participate with your team. However we do encourage that for the six weeks, you go into a group with new people to build new perspectives. Your team isn’t going anywhere and it means you can deepen your knowledge and networks with others.
No. This is an immersive experience and content is not shared until after each Masterclass. We use Airtable and Slack to share content and communicate with you. We may also tailor lessons based on the cohort and your feedback so it is not a ‘press play’ program.
This is something we are working to solve. We will be running Researcher to Innovator later in the year and will change the times, but we are working to develop a self-paced course for those who really struggle with schedules.
No. We thought long and hard about this and the goal of the program is not to rack up PD points, but to immerse yourself in exploring the commercial pathway of your research. So for that reason, the incentive is the program, and not the points earned at the end of the program.