Researcher to Innovator
YOUR RESEARCH CAN HAVE MASSIVE IMPACT BEYOND A TRADITIONAL ACADEMIC PATH. IN THE RESEARCHER TO INNOVATOR PROGRAM, YOU'LL LEARN HOW TO GET YOUR BIG IDEAS OUT INTO THE WORLD.
Monash researchers (Masters by Research students, PhDs, PostDocs, and Monash Academic staff) are invited to take part in the online Researcher to Innovator Program to:
- Learn how to communicate your big ideas and their impact
- Understand how to launch new ideas, using methods from the entrepreneurship and startup worlds
- Develop innovative solutions through ideation and discovery exercises
- Meet other researchers at Monash as part of the growing innovation community
- Two 75-minute online workshops covering ideation, communication, customer discovery and value proposition (Tuesday 2 June or Thursday 4 June 3 – 4.15pm; Tuesday 16 or Thursday 18 June 1 – 2.15pm)
- An intensive BASE Bootcamp to develop your ideas based on lean startup principles (Wednesday 1 July, 9am – 12noon; Thursday 2 July, 9am –12noon; Friday 3 July, 1 – 4pm)
This program is open to all Monash researchers from all disciplines. PhD students and Masters by Research students are welcome to participate but must have the support of their Academic Supervisors when applying for the BASE Bootcamp.
The deadline to apply for the BASE Bootcamp is Sunday 21 June (midnight AEST) and requires at least one person in your team (or you if you are applying solo) to have completed both online workshops as a prerequisite to applying.
Facilitator, ON Prime
Sydney School of Entrepreneurship
PART ONE: ONLINE WORKSHOPS
Two 75-minute online interactive workshops will be delivered ahead of the BASE Bootcamp to prepare you with a well-defined idea and what you want to get out of this program.
At least one person in your team MUST have completed both online workshops to be eligible for entry into the BASE Bootcamp.
Workshop 1: Idea Generation and Communication
Tuesday 2 June OR Thursday 4 June
3 – 4.15pm
In this interactive workshop, you’ll learn how to get to the core of the problem you are solving, what solving that problem would look like, and how to clearly articulate that impact through a Gaddie Pitch. We’ll be using different facilitation tools to make this session interactive and help you connect digitally to other researchers across Monash University.
Workshop 2: Get Your Idea into the World
Tuesday 16 OR Thursday 18 June
1 – 2.15pm
In this second workshop, you will examine the commercial pathways for taking an idea into the world. You will understand the basics of customer and market discovery, and how to uncover the unique value you are creating with your idea.
PART TWO: BASE BOOTCAMP
Wednesday 1 (9am – 12noon), Thursday 2 (9am –12noon), and Friday 3 July (1 – 3pm)
The BASE Bootcamp is a high-intensity, collaborative 3-day training program designed to develop your ideas, understand the idea validation process, and discover the massive impact of your research.
You will learn:
- How to validate an idea and find the real world potential from a customer or end-user perspective
- Understand different avenues for research, from startups and spinouts through to industry partnerships and organisational innovation
- Presentation skills to communicate your ideas to various audiences
We invite individuals or teams to apply from within the Monash Research community. Upon completion of the program, you may wish to continue developing your idea through further Generator Programs, such as the Startup Sprint or Accelerator.
Applications close Sunday 21 June, midnight (AEST). You will be notified if successful on Wednesday 24 June.
Note: BASE Bootcamp is only open to 20 teams and FREE to Monash staff and researchers. The value of the program is $1,000 per team, fully subsidised by Monash University. At least one person in your team MUST have completed the two online workshops.