Student Fees Policy - transfer between Australian and overseas locations
Monash University presents many opportunities for students to spend part of their courses experiencing study in an overseas or "host" location.
The duration and timing of an overseas study transfer may be subject to Faculty arrangements, academic progress and the ability to satisfy Immigration and entry requirements for the country of host location.
There are two primary study modes:
- study on-campus at an officially designated Monash campus, or
- off-campus by distance education with remote support by Monash staff (referred to as "remotely supported DE).
There are two other special study situations available. These are:
- "Locally supported DE" which involves specific agent-University agreements that provide supplementary services, including tutorial support, to students studying overseas via distance education (an example is TMC in Singapore), and
- formalised twinning arrangements that provide on-campus teaching and learning opportunities in non-Monash (and generally overseas) locations.
The Faculty Program Managers, as required, will decide fee relationships between study types 1 and 2 for those students who wish to relocate, and advise Student Finance, Student and Education Business Services, Clayton Campus.
The main types of transfer options are:
- permanent transfer to another overseas location to undertake a new course
- Monash Abroad Scheme - Exchange, Inter-Campus Exchange, International Study Programs, Internship and Clinical & Field Placements.
- Monash Abroad Scheme - Fee Paying Study Programs.
- temporary transfer between overseas locations not linked to the Monash Abroad Scheme.
- internal course transfer.
9.1 Permanent transfer to another overseas location
A student who permanently transfers to an overseas campus, to undertake a new course will be treated as a commencing year student and will be subject to the normal application and approval process. If accepted he/she will be liable for the current year's fees and charges applicable at their new campus.
Tim enrolled at Monash University Malaysia in 2015 in the Bachelor of Computing but decides to move to Australia. After arrival, Tim applies for a Bachelor of Business course at Caulfield Campus. The application is approved. On commencement at Caulfield in February 2016, Tim's fee statement will reflect the year 2016 fee for an International fee paying student at Caulfield Campus.
Note: Should a student transfer permanently to an overseas location and wish to continue in the same course without a break in studies, with Faculty approval, the internal course transfer rules may apply (see internal course transfer section 9.4.5). In this case the student should not be required to start again in terms of year of commencement fee.
9.2 Monash Abroad Programs - Exchange Study Options
Where a student moves temporarily to an offshore Monash campus (either from or to Australia) or to other location options as part of Monash Abroad programs [i.e. Inter Campus Exchange, International Study Programs, Internship, and Clinical & Field Placement], generally course fees and fee payment arrangements shall remain as for the home campus.
For postgraduate students, some universities may charge for research related costs. Other exceptions may occur from time to time; specific information can be sourced directly from the Monash Abroad Office. (email@example.com)
Karen enrolled at Monash Clayton in the Bachelor of Computing and in the second year is approved by Monash Abroad for an exchange program with the University of California. Before travelling overseas Karen pays her semester fee for her Clayton course and will not be charged tuition fees by the host institution.
Note: Should a student on an Intercampus Exchange program, elect to transfer permanently to an Australian campus after the Intercampus Exchange period, the student will be considered as a commencing student for fee invoicing purposes. The fee statement will be issued by Monash University and must be paid to Monash University Australia, in Australian dollars. For further details see internal course transfer section 9.4.5 or contact the Monash Abroad Office.
9.3 Monash Abroad Programs - Fee Paying Study Programs
Monash Abroad offers opportunities for students to participate in selected study abroad programs such as intensive language courses or special study tours where there are no exchange agreements with the host institution. Students are required to pay tuition fees to the overseas institution or program and may be absolved from paying fees to Monash University. Students will need to provide a receipt of their overseas tuition fees to their Faculty so that an adjustment can be made to their fee liability.
Jack enrolled at Monash Clayton in the Bachelor of Arts and has the opportunity to undertake an intensive language course for one semester at the University for Foreigners at Perugia, Italy. Although the course will have credit toward his degree, it is not an exchange program; Jack is responsible for the course fees and some associated costs such as travel and accommodation. However Jack will not be required to pay his Monash Clayton fees for the semester.
9.4 Temporary transfer between overseas locations, not linked to Monash Abroad
With Faculty approval some students will be able to temporarily transfer between an Australian and Overseas campus of Monash University, within the same course and maintain progression toward their degree. The following fee rules apply:
9.4.1 Course Fees - Basic principles
A fee-paying student who transfers from his/her home campus to another Monash campus will pay the fee specific to that campus for the time spent at that campus.
- A fee paying student studying at his/her home campus in Australia will pay the fee relevant to that campus.
- A fee paying student studying at his/her home campus at a Monash campus in another country will pay the fee relevant to that campus.
- A fee-paying student studying by remotely supported Distance Education will pay the course fee set by the University for that course for international on-campus students.
9.4.2 Course Fees - Fee Paying Students
The following fee rules apply:
- course fees are country specific.
- A fee-paying student who transfers from his/her home campus to another Monash overseas campus will pay the international fee specific to that campus for the time spent at that campus.
- fee paying students moving from a Monash campus to a non-campus location to undertake remotely supported distributed learning study will pay the fee set at the initial commencement year of their course, except that the University reserves the right to vary course fees for currently enrolled students, with appropriate notice, if circumstances warrant.
George enrolled at Monash Clayton Campus in 2014 in the Bachelor of Communication. During 2016, George applies for a transfer to complete the third year of his degree at Monash University Malaysia; the Faculty approves the transfer. On arrival in Malaysia, in February 2016, George's fee statement will be produced by Monash University Malaysia and will reflect the 2014 Bachelor of Communication fee at Monash University Malaysia plus any variable fee increase.
9.4.3 Course Fees - CSP Students
Course fees for CSP liable students are Australian based and vary annually according to Australian government legislation.
- A CSP liable student shall pay the annual SCA (upfront or deferred options) set by the Australian government and Monash University, regardless of the campus on which study is undertaken.
- Students exempt from the differential CSP charges (enrolled prior to 1997) shall pay the appropriate SCA fee, regardless of the campus on which study is undertaken.
9.4.4 Course Fees - International Off Campus
Course fees for International students studying at a non-campus location by remotely supported Distance Education (DE) are determined annually by the University.
- An international DE student will pay the course fee quoted at the time of offer and acceptance. The University may adjust the fees annually to account for changed circumstances.
- Students moving from offshore, non-campus locations to a Monash campus, to study on-campus, should pay the campus specific fee set at the time of first enrolment in that course.
Note: Locally supported DE programs in overseas locations may have different fee levels than remotely supported DE courses and may be subject to special arrangements regarding transfers. Check with Program Managers for specific information
9.4.5 Internal Course Transfer
Fee Paying International and Domestic students
If a student transfers from one campus to another but remains in the same course (with the same course code), their fees will be charged in Australian dollars at the continuing rate relevant to the year of their course commencement inclusive of the yearly variable fee adjustments.
If a student transfers from a Monash offshore campus to an Australian campus but remains in the same course (no change of course code) his/her fees will be charged in Australian dollars at the continuing rate (for the Australian course offering) applicable for the year of their commencement in that course (at the offshore location) inclusive of the yearly variable fee adjustments (relevant to the Australian based course).
If the student was on exchange at an Australian campus and course transfer to an Australian campus after the exchange period (regardless of same or change of course code), they will be charged in Australian dollars at the commencing rate relevant to the year of transfer.
If a student transfers between courses (change of course code) with or without transferring campuses, they are considered a new commencing student in the new course. Their fees will be charged in Australian dollars at the commencing rate set by the managing faculty relevant to the time they commence the new course.
Commonwealth Supported Students
Eligible CSP students must complete a new HECS-HELP form if they wish to access HECS-HELP. Eligible full-fee students must complete a new FEE-HELP form if they wish to access FEE-HELP.
9.4.6 Student Services and Amenities Fee and Administration Charges
- Where a student is studying at an off shore campus the student must pay the appropriate Student Services and Amenities Fee or administration charge for that campus.
- Students studying by DE pay a reduced Student Services and Amenities Fee.
9.4.7 Single Unit Enrolment Fees
Students enrolled in non-award single units pay the single unit fee applicable to the campus at which the subject is offered. Each semester/year enrolment is a new enrolment and fees applicable are those set for that semester/year.