Uni life can be complicated at first, so this site will help make it a little easier to navigate your first semester at Monash. The weeks listed here represent the twelve teaching weeks of semester. Just start scrolling to browse topics to see important deadlines to help you manage your studies each week. 

Content loaded - click to close

Want to make unit changes?

If you're not happy with the units you've enrolled in and you're thinking of making a change, you can add new units if you're in the:

  • semester two 2020 intake until Friday 14 August
  • the November intake until Friday 13 November.

This deadline is for standard, on-campus units. Deadlines for off-campus units differ. See dates for changing units.

To make changes to your unit enrolment, log into the Web Enrolment System (WES) and go to the Enrolment section where you entered your units.

Census date

You'll be hearing a lot about the census date – there's one for each semester. This is the date when your enrolment is finalised in terms of fees and what appears on your academic record. For more information, see census dates.

Domestic students

You can actually drop units after the census date, but you'll still have to pay the fee. 

Most teaching periods in 2020 don’t apply an academic penalty for dropping units after the census date, although the usual academic penalties still apply to some. This means your transcript will show you’ve withdrawn late (WD) or you’ve been given a withdrawn fail (WN). To see which teaching periods apply the academic penalty, see census dates and teaching periods

If you drop a unit earlier and meet the census date deadline, it won't appear on your record and you won't be charged any fees.

International students

The rules may vary if you're an international student on a visa. Generally you need to maintain a full study load and need permission to drop units. Talk to your faculty first.

Course rules

Before making changes to your enrolment, you should check your course rules (for core units, prerequisites or corequisites) or talk to your faculty.