Explore our Donor Charter
At Monash, the desire to make a difference informs everything we do. We go beyond good intentions - we make an impact, both locally and internationally. Philanthropy lies at the very heart of this success.
We consider philanthropic gifts a platform for change and welcome support of programs and activities that foster academic freedom, excellence in education and research, critical enquiry and debate, and positive community engagement with the University.
Monash is committed to building enduring relationships of mutual trust and partnership with those who share our passion for making positive change in the world. It is the generosity of our community of supporters that allows us to push the boundaries, change more lives, and transform the word for the better. We are deeply grateful to all our donors for their support and strive to ensure every journey with us in philanthropy is a positive and rewarding experience.
This charter underpins our promise to fundraise in an ethical and compliant manner that promotes public confidence and protects University and donor interests. As a donor, and our partner in change, you can expect the following commitments from the University:
To act responsibly and with integrity View
- Donors can be assured that the University will abide with all applicable laws relating to philanthropic gifts and fundraising and will maintain the highest standards of fiduciary integrity and ethical conduct.
- Monash University will only accept gifts that are consistent with the legislative objects of the University and support the University’s mission and strategic goals.
- Monash University will not seek or accept support where there is a risk to our commitment to the provision of independent and world-class research or teaching, any attempt to limit our academic freedom, or where there is a likelihood of reputational damage, financial loss, or illegal or unethical activity.
- Donors can expect the University, and its staff, to act in a professional and accountable manner at all times.
To acknowledge all philanthropic gifts View
- Donors can expect their gifts to be acknowledged promptly and to be issued with an official receipt which complies with the relevant taxation jurisdiction where gifts are tax deductible.
- Monash University commits to recognising donors publically, where appropriate, and where they have given consent to do so.
To use philanthropic gifts effectively and appropriately View
- Donors can be assured that the University will take the greatest care to honour donor intentions for the use of designated gifts.
- Donors can expect to be informed of how the University intends to use their gift.
- Monash University will endeavor to discuss with donors, or their representatives, alternative uses for their gift, should circumstances render the University unable to direct the gift to the purpose originally intended.
- Donors can expect the University to use gifts, when undesignated, responsibly and ethically.
To be transparent and informative View
- Donors can expect to be kept informed about the use of their gift and the impact of their philanthropy.
- Donors can expect to be kept informed of the recruitment of academic appointments where funded. As part of the University’s commitment to academic freedom, Monash will manage the recruitment and selection process.
- Donors can expect to be kept informed of scholarship selection outcomes where funded. As part of the University’s commitment to academic freedom, Monash will make final decisions on scholarships awarded.
- Donors can expect to be kept informed of the progress of research or educational programs funded. As part of the University’s commitment to academic freedom, Monash will manage the design and delivery of the research or educational program.
- Donors can expect the University to make available on request the University’s most recently published financial statements.
To respect the interests and privacy of donors View
- Monash University commits to protecting donor interests and expectations.
- Donors can expect to be treated with the highest level of care and respect.
- Donors can be assured that their details will be treated confidentially and will not be shared with any third party without their explicit permission.
- Monash University commits to respect donors’ rights to privacy and to fully comply with relevant privacy laws and regulations.
- Donors can expect to be kept informed about the University, its evolving priorities, services, events and achievements; and that the University will honour any request to be removed from contact lists, or to limit the number and types of contact.