2.4 Transfer

2.4 Degree or institution transfer

2.4.1 Transfer from master’s to PhD, or professional doctorate

A student  undertaking a research master’s degree, including MPhil, may apply to transfer  to doctoral enrolment.

Please see Section  7: Application for transfer from a Research Masters to PhD of the Graduate  Research Progress Management Procedures for information.
Since it is  assumed that the scope of the research topic is substantially broadened while  remaining essentially unchanged, doctoral enrolment is backdated to  the commencement date of the master’s enrolment. Research master’s  students considering a transfer to doctoral enrolment are required to  undertake any program requirements of the relevant doctoral  degree.

In exceptional circumstances, a coursework master’s student who has  demonstrated a capacity to undertake graduate research, either by completing a  substantial part of the master’s minor thesis, or by providing equivalent  evidence of research experience or competence, may be allowed to transfer to  doctoral enrolment. In this case, doctoral enrolment is  backdated to the commencement of the research component of the master’s degree.

Students  should discuss the academic unit and faculty requirements for  confirmation/transfer, including any program  requirements, with their supervisor and/or graduate research coordinator  before commencing the transfer process.

(See Appendix J in  this handbook for further information on any faculty-specific transfer requirements.)

Where a student commences studies in a Research Masters degree and then  transfers to a Research Doctorate, the student is entitled to a maximum of four  years full-time equivalent study, including the time enrolled in the Research  Masters degree

2.4.2 Transfer from one doctoral program to another (internal and external)

Students may apply to transfer from one doctoral degree to another, for example from a professional doctorate to a PhD, or from another institution. Students will only be approved to transfer where they are able to undertake a minimum 12 months of full time enrolment in the new degree.

These students will be expected to undertake the program requirements relevant to the degree into which they are transferring, unless credit has been granted by the Program Director/Graduate Research Coordinator and/or Graduate Research Committee. See section 2.3.

Where a transfer occurs, from another institution (external), the student is required to provide Monash University with their enrolment details from the previous Higher Education Provider (HEP).

Students on a RTP Fees Offset and/or RTP Stipend at the previous Higher Education Provider (HEP) will be assessed in accordance with the University's RTP Scholarship Policy and procedures.

2.4.3 Prior Candidature

Where a student transfers from one doctoral program to another (at the same level), within the same area of research, the total period of research within the prior degree (minus any approved leave) will be considered as prior candidature. In this case, the full-time equivalent duration available to complete the new degree will be reduced and all relevant milestone and thesis submission dates will be amended accordingly.

2.4.4 Readmission to a degree program at the same level

Applications  for re-admission into the same degree are subject to the provisions as outlined  in the Graduate  Research Re-Admission Procedures.

print version