Joint research awards - general information

A joint award program involves one program of study that uses the resources of two universities, who jointly award a single degree.

A 'joint award program' is a generic term, the details of which may vary, according to the particular arrangements negotiated between the participating institutions. Other terms include a 'cotutelle', a unique class of joint PhD program, defined under French law.

A joint PhD normally includes provisions that meet the regulations of all the participating universities.

How does a joint PhD differ from a normal PhD?

Your research project is likely to use resources of both universities, and you will have at least one supervisor at each institution.

You are required to spend at least one year, or 30 per cent of your candidature, at each university. Most candidates travel to the external partner university after Monash confirms them. Note that a partner university in the northern hemisphere is likely to require you to participate in an oral examination as well as your normal written thesis examination.

When you fulfill the requirements of both universities, Monash awards you a testamur, which recognises that your research was conducted jointly with the partner university.


Most candidates who enrol in joint awards receive Australian Government or Monash stipend scholarships.

You can also apply for assistance with the costs of travel to the partner university through a travel grant application – and your supervisor may have project funds to contribute.

You must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds for the period of your study overseas prior to departure. International candidates are also eligible to participate in joint awards.

How to apply for a joint PhD

You can apply for an existing international joint doctoral award prior to enrolling at Monash. If you're a current candidate enrolled in a Monash PhD, you can enquire about the possibility of transferring into a joint award after consulting with your supervisor.

Applications are only accepted for established programs and must be endorsed by your prospective or current supervisor.

Online application form

What about study away?

Where a suitable joint PhD arrangement does not already exist, you may take advantage of other opportunities to conduct part of your research at another university, or perhaps more than one.

You can pursue up to 12 months study away from Monash at other universities as part of your degree as long as you have permission from your supervisor and the Graduate Research Committee. Please see the Handbook for Doctoral Degrees for more information.

Joint PhD enquiries

To request an application for existing joint award arrangements, please contact the Admissions Unit, Graduate Research Services:

Submit an enquiry online
Telephone: 1800 MONASH (1800 666 274)