4.3 Studying away from the University

Graduate research student travel (study away) application should be used when students are required to travel to pursue research that is integral to their research program. Travel will only be approved for essential research as part of the graduate research course.

Students must comply with the requirements under Staff & Student Travel Policy and Student Travel Procedure, in seeking approval for study away and undertaking any approved travels.

Where a student wishes to relocate away from campus, instead of submitting a study away application, an attendance variation application to transfer to external enrolment should be considered. Please refer to 3.4 External/Off-campus enrolment for more details and restrictions.

Please note:

  • Study away applications should be submitted no later than six weeks prior to the student's proposed departure date to the Monash Graduate Research Office (MGRO) for approval.
  • Backdated variation requests will not be approved.
  • To be eligible, students must also:
    • Be currently enrolled;
    • Have sufficient enrolment time remaining
    • Not be on a leave of absence from candidature for the period of the proposed travel, and;
    • Not be under examination.
  • Students who fail to advise the University of their return via the relevant form may be subject to termination proceedings, as per Section 2 of the Graduate Research Termination Procedures.

Coursework units

Where a student is undertaking coursework and applying for study away their supervisor must ensure that the student will meet all coursework enrolment obligations and are aware of the implications as per the university’s coursework policies.

Where study away is going to impede completion of coursework and/or skills training units, the supervisor must not approve the study away. Approved study away will not be considered a basis for any subsequent application for special consideration.

No study away in the first six months

The Graduate Research Committee considers the first six months of enrolment to be critical to the framing and establishment of a student's research project. Therefore, requests for study away during the first six months are normally approved only in exceptional circumstances. It is acknowledged that in some cases fieldwork, which is an integral and essential part of the overall doctoral program, may need to be undertaken during the early months of enrolment.

Duration of study away

A maximum period of 12 months' study away may be approved, although in exceptional circumstances this may be extended to 18 months.

International students based at Monash University Australia

International students on a student visa should contact Monash Connect when applying to study away. Under Australian government regulations, there are visa implications for international students and their dependents should they leave Australia for an extended period of study away.

Students based at an International campus/teaching location of Monash University

If traveling to Australia, there are many visa options depending on your length of stay. Visa information for travel to Australia can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website. If travelling to Australia for an extended period of time it is recommended you apply for a student visa. Please see the Study Away section of the Graduate Research Forms page for further information.

Travel insurance

All travellers must ensure they have access to and are covered under the University’s travel insurance policy. Only travel that is formally approved will be covered by the University’s travel insurance policy.

To understand what is and isn’t covered, please refer to Insurance Services and the travel advice section of the COVID-19 Updates Website for COVID related events.

Travel grant

A travel grant is a grant provided to support a period of study away. Travel grants can be used to cover airfares and travel related expenses such as taxis and conference registration fees.

The following applies to student based at Monash University Australia only. Students located at an international campus/teaching location should contact their campus administrator for information regarding travel grants. Joint award students may be eligible when undertaking their Monash Australia campus stay component of the joint award.

To be eligible for a travel grant, a student must comply with study away conditions.

To be considered for a travel grant, students need to satisfy the following criteria:

  1. Presenting at a conference and evidenced with the abstract submission/acceptance /invitation to present, and/or
  2. Undertaking approved fieldwork relevant to the research project, evidenced by confirmation or planned activities
  3. Must have successfully completed confirmation
  4. Travel prior to thesis submission

Students are ineligible to receive travel grant if they are:

  1. Eligible for a staff travel grant
  2. External students applying for annual mandatory period of residency at a campus
  3. Under examination
  4. Previous recipients of a travel grant

Eligible students will receive this grant as a one-off payment. The Monash Graduate Research Office travel grant contribution is $1,175. The Faculty and/or Academic Unit must contribute to the travel grant by providing minimum of $940. Please discuss your eligibility with your Academic Unit and/or Faculty prior to applying for the grant

Reimbursement of expenses

Academic Unit and/or Faculty will be credited the allocated amounts and students will be required to contact their Academic Unit and/or Faculty for reimbursement of their travel costs.