Chapter 4: Changes to enrolment

4.6 Writing-up away (relocation)

A student may apply for 'writing-up away (relocation)’ in the final stages of their enrolment to facilitate relocation only.

  • Local students can apply for 'writing-up away (relocation)’ to relocate interstate.
  • International students on an Australian student visa can only apply for 'writing-up away (relocation)’.

'Writing-up away (relocation) is limited to an initial period of three months equivalent full time period (EFT) with a possible extension of up to three months EFT in exceptional circumstances only.

Applications for 'writing-up away (relocation)' will only be considered where the following conditions have been met:

  1. Sufficient enrolment remaining,
  2. All requirements for all research coursework and training and the Pre-Submission Seminar / Final Review have been completed,
  3. The main supervisor and head of the academic unit or delegate must certify in writing that the student has:
    1. completed all requirements stated above; and
    2. the student has completed a satisfactory first full draft of the thesis.

Students who have been granted 'writing-up away (relocation)’ must maintain their enrolment at the University. Students who have not submitted their thesis by the end of the enrolment period may have their enrolment discontinued as per Section 8 of the Graduate Research Progress Management Procedures.


  • The Monash Graduate Research Office (MGRO) will not approve backdated variation requests.