Skip to content

Eligibility and when to apply


When to apply to graduate

You don't need to wait for your results to apply to graduate. To graduate at the earliest possible date, you must apply in your final teaching period (semester, trimester term), before the closing date.

For application closing dates, see ceremony dates.

Eligibility and being course completed

To qualify to graduate, you must:

  • meet all your course requirements (student record must reflect this), including placements, practicums and internships - ask your faculty for details
  • pass enough units to achieve your course credit point totals
  • owe no fees or charges owing to the University - see Fee non-payment (encumbrance).

We will advise you if you're not qualified to graduate, and you will need to contact your faculty. If your faculty hasn't signed off your course completion by about six weeks before the ceremony round, your application will be postponed to your faculty's next round.

If you don't apply to graduate

If you don't apply to graduate, we'll email you at least twice to remind you to make an application. If you're eligible but still don't apply, you will be graduated in absentia (without attending a ceremony) and we'll email you about getting your award certificate and other documents.

Graduating with an alternative exit

An alternative exit is an official exit point from an award course. This is often in the form of a lower award (e.g. graduate diploma or graduate certificate).

To apply for an alternative exit, first contact your faculty to request a course completion with an alternative exit. Then apply to graduate, choosing the alternative exit option in your application.

Course and unit types

Double degree students

If you're graduating with two awards, we'll give you you graduation documents for both on stage at your ceremony. To apply, you must complete a single application for the double degree. We will assign you to the ceremony date for your managing faculty and course.

If you want to have one of your degrees conferred before the other, you will need to apply twice. Check with your faculty about the rules for your degrees.

Bachelor and honours degrees

You can apply to graduate from both your bachelor and honours degrees. You don't need to wait until you have completed your honours degree to graduate from your bachelors. Generally, graduands prefer to attend their honours ceremony and have their bachelor's degree awarded in absentia.

Summer unit students

Apply before the application closing date on 15 January to graduate at the next ceremony round. If you don't complete all requirements of your course, you will be allocated to the following ceremony round.

Multiple degrees

You will need to apply to graduate for each course if you are doing several different courses.

Open Universities Australia (OUA) students

Contact your faculty or teaching department once you have met all course requirements. Your course administrator will confirm whether you are qualified to graduate, update your record, and let you know when you can apply to graduate using the Web Enrolment System (WES). For faculty contact details, see I'm an OUA student, how do I apply to graduate?

Posthumous awards

If a student has passed away, a family member can request a posthumous award. This is subject to approval by University Council.

There are three options:

  • graduating in attendance, with a family member representing the deceased student
  • graduating in absentia and receiving the award certificate (testamur) in the mail
  • family receiving the award from the faculty at a private occasion.

The family need to advise the student's faculty which option they prefer. For posthumous award procedures, staff should see online help.

Got a question? Monash Connect can help