Providing feedback about the service

Making a complaint

If you're dissatisfied with our service, you can contact the Director of University Health Services’ by emailing

We take complaints seriously and aim to resolve them fairly, and as quickly as we can.

The Health Complaints Commissioner

If you remain dissatisfied with our response, you can contact the Health Complaints Commissioner (HCC). The HCC responds to complaints about health services and the handling of health information in Victoria. Their service is free, confidential and impartial.

To lodge a complaint with the HCC: