Adjunct Associate Professor, Urban Design
Driven by the goals “to make a better cities and built environment through creation of well informed, integrated, comprehensive master plan”, Sibarani has spent more than a decade in South East Asia and recently, Indonesia, in executing successful planning projects that become new places for people to live work and play.
Having worked for leading international firms such as RSP Architects Planners & Engineers (Singapore), Skidmore Owings & Merrill (SOM), EDAW and AECOM, Sibarani has gained vast experience and worked on various award winning master planning projects in South East Asia from Vietnam, China, South Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, India etc.
Pioneered practices be it for owned business or multi-national companies, Sibarani has great track record in establishing great organization with inspiring teamwork culture. His acumen and networking ability to penetrate new emerging market also helped to create a successful business where ever he goes.
In 2007, he is among the first fews that pioneered AECOM Design & Planning Singapore as Director of Master Planning developing a 100 strong team from scratch and now spread across Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines and New Delhi. In 2011 he moved to Indonesia to grow Design and Planning studio from 15 to 70 staff including Architecture, Building Engineering, Project Cost Consultancy, tripling the revenue and won several awards. In 2014 served as Country Manager for 1 year for AECOM Indonesia and grow into 160 person multi-disciplinary office.
Currently, Sibarani is Founder and Director of URBAN+ practice that he started in 2017 together with several key urban and design experts to assist clients and cities in creating compelling urban projects. With wealth of experiences and networks of key players of urban developments in Indonesia, Sibarani and team in URBAN+ are spearheading on strategic infrastructure-driven planning (ie.TOD, Aerotropolis, Port City) and other master planning communities or mixed use projects with aim to develop better built environment. Sibarani assist several Cities and Regencies (Bogor, Bandung), as well as expert source for Ministry of Public Works, Ministry of State Owned Company, Indonesia Public Housing Board (Perumnas) and Green Building Council.
- “Commentary for 30:30 Green Building target Jakarta”, Interview article for Construction+ Magaize 3rd edition, 2017, Indonesia.
- “ Indonesia Emerging Transit Oriented Development”, Presentation at 3rd Annual Transit-Oriented Development, 2017, Hong Kong.
- “ Preliminary Resilience Assessment of DKI Jakarta”, Presentation at 100 Resilient City Seminar, 2017, Jakarta.
- “ ACT ! Urban Design + Action in Guerilla Way”, Presentation at Asia Young Designer Awards, 2017, Jogjakarta.
- “ 100 Resilience Cities : Jakarta - Agenda Setting Worskhop”, Facilitating First Workshop with Provincial City of Jakarta for Rockefeller Foundation, 2016.
Dr Alex Lechner research focuses on developing methods to supports sustainable planning and participatory decision-making through the development of novel spatial approaches including ecosystem services modelling, wildlife connectivity analyses, remote sensing and participatory web-based GIS mapping. He has undertaken research across the world from Oceania to Southeast Asia and Europe and has a successful track record of applying landscape ecology methods to a broad range of cross-cutting areas including:
- Threats to the environment from infrastructure development and resource extraction, in particularly urbanisation;
- Impacts of landscape fragmentation on wildlife; and
- Supporting socio-environmental change with interdisciplinary approaches to modelling and collaborating across environmental domains and disciplines.
- Nature-based Solutions
- Urban sustainability, ecosystem services and biodiversity
- GIS, remote sensing and data science
- Belt and Road Initiative
- Southeast Asia biodiversity conservation and sustainability
- Mining socio-ecological impacts
- Water, energy and food Nexus
- Sibarani Sofian - Arsitek Indonesia Pemenang Sayembara Desain Ibu Kota Negara Baru! - Helmi Yahyan Bicara
- Mengenal Sibarani Sofian, Pemenang Sayembara Desain DKI Baru - CNCB
- Profil Sofian Sibarani Arsitek Hebat sang Pembuat Konsep Nagara Rimba Nusa, Wajah Baru Ibu Kota- Tribun
- Sofian Sibarani Tunjukkan kepada Dunia Ibu Kota Ramah Lingkungan- Media Indonesia
- Sibarani Sofian, Ketua IARKI 2022-2025 - Kompas
- 2016 Best Landscape Project, Bintaro Exchange Plaza & Parks, SILA (Singapore Institute of Landscape) Awards
- 2015 Best Planning Project, Garuda Wisnu Kencana Masterplan, SIP (Singapore Institute of Planners) Awards
- 2014 Best Landscape Project, River of Life, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, SILA (Singapore Institute of Landscape) Awards
- 2013 1st Prize, Tengah Housing Devt Board (HDB) Town Master Plan, SIngapore
- 2013 1st Prize, Garuda Wisnu Kencana, SILA Awards