In the information age, data are ubiquitous. Data Science extracts value from data assets. It helps understand the past, better manage the present, and effectively plan for the future. It provides evidence-based approaches to decision support. It plays a critical role in advanced industry, commerce, governance and research.
KEY AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Artificial Intelligence: Bayesian techniques; Knowledge acquisition and processing; Natural language
- Machine Learning: Association discovery; Causal models; Classification; Deep learning; Forecasting; Images; Natural language; Spatio-temporal; Text; Time series
- Modelling: Agent-based modelling; Artificial life
- Optimisation: Combinatorial optimisation; Constraint programming; Mixed-integer programming; Metaheuristics; Hybrid methods; Modelling languages; Model analysis and transformation; Nondifferentiable optimization; Applications in resource planning and scheduling; Path finding algorithms
- Visualisation: Immersive analytics; Interactive visualisation; Layout and presentation
Monash University has unrivalled strength across the breadth of key data science capabilities. Our Data Science Group has more than 40 permanent academic staff and a large cohort of project-based researchers and postgraduate students. We have a sustained track record of delivering innovative solutions to external partners.
Peter MacCallum Institute and Alfred hospital partnered with Monash to investigate optimisation approaches to prostate cancer treatment. Brachytherapy involves placement of radioactive seeds inside the prostate. Placing these seeds to deliver optimal doses such that tumor cells are destroyed while delicate tissues are protected is a difficult optimisation problem that radiotherapists typically plan in a challenging and time consuming manual process. Monash researchers developed automatic optimisation algorithms that deliver better treatments. We also developed an interactive optimisation approach to help clinicians integrate the algorithm into their process and performed a detailed case study to see how it could be integrated into their treatment planning practice. This research is published in the Journals Physics in Medicine and Biology and IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics.