Sir John Monash Medal for outstanding achievement
The Sir John Monash Medal recognises extraordinary academic achievement from an undergraduate degree student.
About the award
The medal is awarded annually, in recognition of extraordinary academic achievement from an undergraduate degree student, who is eligible to graduate (or completed their course), and judged to have:
- an outstanding academic record
- demonstrated a significant commitment, while at Monash University, to advancing the University's goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment.
The following eligibility criteria apply:
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must have completed their undergraduate study and qualify for the award of Bachelor degree.
- Monash IT recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must have achieved a minimum of an overall high distinction (80% or above) grade average, with no failed units.
- Recipients must also be seen to have made an outstanding contribution in advancing one or more of the nominated areas, such as social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment.
- Former recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal are ineligible for this award.
- Recipients who are completing a combined or double degree are not eligible to receive the Sir John Monash Medal from two faculties. Only the managing (enrolling) faculty shall consider the student for the award.
Nomination and selection process
A nomination can be made by the student, a fellow student, any Monash staff member, or any member of the community.
- The nomination must include a statement explaining the reason for the nomination and any supporting information which could be useful in the selection process.
- A written statement (approximately 1/2 - 1 page) must be provided by the student demonstrating the significant commitment whilst at Monash University, to advancing the University's goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable future.
- The completed and signed nomination form will provide permission for release of the student's records to the selection committee.
- The selection committee will determine the student to be awarded the Sir John Monash Medal and the recommendation will be forwarded to the Dean of Monash IT. Where the selection committee deems more than one application to be equal in ranking, it may be necessary to require students to be interviewed.
- The medal will be awarded at the student's graduation ceremony if attending, or forwarded by mail if graduating in absentia. The award will be included on official University transcripts.
Nomination form and closing date
- Nominations are submitted by completing:
Deadline for nominations: Monday 2 March, 2020
The Sir John Monash Medal was first offered and awarded in 2009.
- 2009 James Charters - Bachelor of Information Technology and Systems - Caulfield
- 2010 Jiun Yee Tan - Bachelor of Information Technology and Systems - Malaysia
- 2011 Josh Teichman - Bachelor of Business Information Systems - Clayton
- 2012 Rahul Kukreja - Bachelor of Computer Science - Clayton
- 2013 Nicholas Craig - Bachelor of Information Technology and Systems - Caulfield
- 2014 Chantel Garcia - Bachelor of Computer Science - Clayton
- 2015 Syin Li Tan - Bachelor of Business Information Systems - Clayton
- 2016 Nigel Zhi Xin Lim - Bachelor of Computer Science - Malaysia
- 2017 Julie Hillel - Bachelor of Business Information Systems - Clayton
- 2018 Benjamin Ramcharan - Bachelor of Computer Science - Clayton