Honours and minor thesis
Monash IT offers the option to undertake a research project during your degree, either as an honours year for undergraduate students, or a minor thesis for postgraduate students.
Benefits of completing a research project:
- Extend your knowledge in a field of interest
- Stand out in your chosen field
- Start an academic career
- Get on track to a higher degree
- Competitive advantage in your career
- Use state-of-the-art research facilities
- Develop your communication, research, academic writing, project management and problem solving skills
See the application process for undergraduate and postgraduate courses below.
You can begin your Honours year in either March or July in any year. It is normally completed in one year of full-time study. It can be completed in two years of part-time study if approval can be obtained.
In 2018 to be eligible for the postgraduate research stream, students must have successfully completed 24 points of level five (non-foundation) FIT units and achieved an overall average of at least 75 per cent across all of these units. Enrolment in the research units is also dependent on available supervisors and projects. Students will be ranked based on their entire academic record and assessed for their suitability to undertake the research component of this program.
Master’s students can commence their minor thesis in either Semester 1 or 2. The minor thesis MUST be completed across the final two semesters of your degree.
The Postgraduate research stream is available in the following courses:
- Master of Business Information Systems
- Master of Data Science
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Networks and Security
How to Apply
- Ensure you are aware of the eligibility requirements for the research stream refer to the Handbook entry for your degree.
- Complete and submit an Application for entry into the Research Stream of IT Coursework Masters Degrees (PDF, 568KB) and submit to the Faculty by the dates listed on the form.
How to enrol and re-enrol
Enrolment into Minor thesis units for 2018 will be in February 2018 at an Information and orientation session held in Orientation week. Refer to your offer for details. Students will not be able to enrol or re-enrol in research units via WES. Please contact the Faculty for enrolment into elective units.