Summer and winter semester
With a summer or winter semester you can accelerate your progress through your course, or manage your coursework requirements around other course commitments (such as industry-based learning placements).
How to enrol in a summer or winter unit
Step 1. Choose your unit
- Take a look at the units we offer, and find information on teaching duration, exam dates and discontinuation dates. You’ll find it here on our Summer and Winter units webpages.
- We recommend that students study no more than two units in any one summer or winter calendar period. Most summer or winter units are taught in 'intensive teaching mode' and as a result can be very demanding.
Step 2. Check the prerequisite requirements
- When choosing a unit, it’s your responsibility to check the Summer and Winter units webpages to see whether any prerequisites or prohibitions apply to specific units.
- Students will NOT be permitted to
enrolinto a Summer A unit if they are currently enrolled in the prerequisite unit(s) in semester 2/2017.
Step 3. Complete your enrolment
- To enrol in a summer or winter unit, you’ll need to complete an Enrolment Amendment form available from your campus faculty office.
- Visit the Summer and Winter units webpages for detailed enrolment, teaching, exam and census dates. Enrolments will be accepted up until the start of teaching.
- Enrolling at the Malaysia campus? Students wanting to enrol in a summer unit at the Malaysia campus must refer to the enrolment process on the Monash Malaysia School of IT website.
Once you’re enrolled
Allocate your lectures and tutorials
Once you’re enrolled, you’ll need to allocate yourself into lectures and tutorials for your summer semester units (this is compulsory). Once you’re enrolled in the summer or winter semester you’ll be provided with online access to Allocate+ to allow you to do this. Note that timetable information is available at Class Timetable.
Allocate+ opens for Summer B units on 19 December.
For information about examination details visit the Monash University website.
What if I want to discontinue a summer or winter unit?
If you wish to discontinue a summer or winter unit, you’ll need to complete an Enrolment Amendment form (available from your faculty office), by the unit discontinuation date, in order to avoid academic and financial penalties. Unit discontinuation dates are listed on our Summer and Winter units pages.
If you’re unable to attend on campus to complete an Enrolment Amendment form, please submit an ask monash query requesting to be discontinued by the unit discontinuation date.
If you enrol into a summer or winter semester unit, do not attend classes, and do not officially discontinue, you will incur unit fees or CSP (Commonwealth Supported Place) charges and a fail grade.
If you failed a pre-requisite unit in semester two, we will allow you to discontinue without academic penalty, if the unit discontinuation date is prior to 9 December.