Monash Faculty of Law/Washington College of Law - Dual JD Degree
In an Australian-first agreement with a US law school, the Faculty of Law has established a dual-degree program with Washington College of Law (WCL), American University, Washington, D.C. Upon completion of the program, students will be awarded a Juris Doctor degree from both law schools.
The international Juris Doctor program provides an excellent opportunity to acquire valuable on-site education and skills to work as a 'local' lawyer in both Australia and the US.
The duration of the dual Juris Doctor program is four years for full-time students, which involves two years of full-time study in Washington, D.C. in order to meet the requirements of the American Bar Association. Upon completion of the dual-degree, students will be able to sit the U.S. bar examination and/or undertake Practical Legal Training in order to gain admission to practice in Victoria.
About the Washington College of Law
The Washington College of Law (WCL), founded in 1896, has been part of American University since 1949. WCL is a member of the Association of American Law Schools and is approved by the American Bar Association. The law school also meets the requirements for preparation for the bar in all 50 US states and carries the certification for the United States District Court for the District of Columbia and the New York State Department of Education.
Located in the northwest edge of Washington, D.C., near the Maryland state line, the law school is 20 minutes from the White House and is set within the green boundaries of a residential neighbourhood.
- Learn more about the campus and history of WCL
- tentative list of 2020 Spring courses (where the electives may be chosen from)
To be eligible to apply for the dual degree program students must have:
- An active enrolment in the Juris Doctor program at Monash
- Students must have completed the first year (full time equivalent) of the Juris Doctor, at the time of application, however cannot commence their studies with WCL until a minimum of 54 credit points have been completed. Refer to Course map for more information.
- A minimum credit average (60%)
Students enrolled on a part-time basis and who meet the eligibility criteria may apply for the dual JD program but must study a full-time load at WCL.
- Students are required to have completed a minimum of 54 credit points of the Monash Juris Doctor prior to commencing the WCL program.
- International students who arrive Australia on an American passport are not eligible for the program.
- Three places are available each year for the program.
As at end of Trimester 1 2021
16 April 2021
14 May 2021
19 May 2021
|26 May 2021|
- The equivalent of full-time study at WCL is 12-17 credits per semester.
- All International JD Dual Degree students must complete at least 59 credits at WCL.
- See https://www.wcl.american.edu/registrar/ for the academic calendar.
- Monash students are eligible to obtain credit for up to a maximum of 8 electives which are studied at WCL and which must include commercial constrained and professional electives (where approved in the Monash JD).
Please contact the ask.monash if you need further information.
Updated: February 2021