How to apply for International students
The Monash JD is now taking applications for 2021 intakes.
Monash JD minimum entry requirements
In order to apply for the Monash JD you must meet one of the following three entry requirements.
An undergraduate degree (or equivalent) with at least a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 on a 7 point scale, or qualification/experience or satisfactory substitute that the faculty considers to be equivalent.
An undergraduate degree (or equivalent) with at least a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 on a 7 point scale and LSAT score of 150+ (taken within 5 years prior to applying for admission)*.
If, in addition to a bachelor degree (or equivalent) the applicant has incomplete studies in a law admission degree course, a minimum GPA of 5.0 on a 7 point scale in the law studies, with no fail result in the final year, is required. Credit for prior studies, up to a maximum of 48 points may be awarded.
*You can sit the LSAT by applying via LSAC (Law School Admissions Council). Please be mindful of the closing dates to apply for the Monash JD when selecting your LSAT test date.
The Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) has three intakes per year; January, May and August.
English entry requirements
English language requirements are met by an applicant having studied in an institution where English is the language of instruction and assessment for the entire institution and have satisfactorily completed the equivalent of one years full-time (two standard full-time semesters) of either:
- a university undergraduate award program; or
- a program that has been assessed as being taught at an equivalent level to Monash University undergraduate study; or
- Postgraduate study as specified above
Minimum English language requirement:
- IELTS 7.0 overall (with no band lower than 6.5)
- TOEFL Paper-based test: 587 with a TWE of 4.5
- TOEFL Internet-based test: score of 94 overall with Writing: 24, Reading 19, Listening 20, Speaking 20.
- or Equivalent approved English test
Have you successfully met the academic entry requirements for Monash Law, but just missed out on the english language entry requirements? Simply complete the relevant Monash English Bridging course for guaranteed entry to Monash Law.
Applicants must also submit
- a detailed current curriculum vitae and,
- original or original certified copies of your academic transcripts, and evidence of completion, for all tertiary studies undertaken.
If your documentation is in a language other than English, an official certified translation must be provided. You are not required to submit academic transcripts for courses you have undertaken at Monash University, but should instead provide your Monash student number.
- a Credit application form and further documentation, if you are intending to apply for credit. Please refer to the 'credit transfer' information below.
Applicants who have completed postgraduate law studies with another institution within the last ten years, may apply for credit. The maximum amount of credit that can be granted towards the Monash JD is eight units.
Credit will not be given for units completed as part of an undergraduate degree, although students may be exempted from units where appropriate.
For further credit and application information please refer to the credit policy
Key JD dates
There are three intakes per year for the Monash JD.
|Monash JD Intakes|
|Trimester 1 2021||Trimester 2 2021||Trimester 3 2021|
|Applications close|| |
7 December 2020
26 April 2021
16 August 2021
|Welcome orientation|| |
12 January 2021
27 April 2021
17 August 2021
18 January 2021
3 May 2021
23 August 2021
1. Submit an online application.
2. Provide original or original certified supporting documentation.
Application commencement periods are as follows:
Trimester 1, January intake: "Summer Semester"
Trimester 2, May intake: "Winter Semester"
Trimester 3, August intake: "Spring Semester (July-October start, varies by course)"