Tenants Victoria is the specialist rental law community legal centre in Victoria. We provide legal advice, casework support, and other services to renters experiencing hardship or disadvantage. We also provide community organisations with training, information and support in relation to the rental law, and advocate to make legal and housing systems fairer for renters in Victoria.
Through our VCAT Lawyer Program we provide advocacy support for renters who have an upcoming VCAT hearing at which they are at risk of losing their home, or where the hearing relates to safety issues (i.e. family violence or urgent repairs). In this clinic, each student will support the VCAT Lawyer to assist renters at a VCAT hearing (usually held by telephone, using Teams), or assist the VCAT Lawyer in other aspects of file management.
Activities may include:
- taking instructions from clients under supervision
- writing file notes
- reviewing documents relevant to the case
- shadowing the VCAT Lawyer during negotiations
- drafting correspondence or VCAT documents
- Conducting research on rental law, access to justice and wider policy issues