In this placement, students are based at Jobwatch, a community legal centre located in central Melbourne. Staff at JobWatch specialise in providing legal advice and ongoing casework to people with employment law problems, including unfair dismissal, workplace harassment and discrimination claims and other general protection claims. Students receive extensive training and support to give advice on the telephone advice line in relation to various employment law issues, and assist with legal education materials, preparation of cases and legal research. Activities may include:
- Provision of legal information and support to people with employment law issues;
- Assisting legal practitioners at JobWatch in the preparation of applications to the Fair Work Ombudsman and / or Fair WorkCommission;
- Undertaking detailed legal research in support of legal practitioners preparing cases; and
- Other administrative duties as directed.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students are encouraged to apply for this internship Students who have studied Employment Law or Anti Discriminatory Law are also encouraged to apply.