Progressive Law Network
Field of Law
Stage of career
Address: Progress Law Network, Campus Centre, 21 Chancellors Walk, Monash University, 3800
Visit the Progressive Law Network website
Social Media: Facebook; Instagram; LinkedIn
Description of Organisation
The PLN is a network of university students from all disciplines, staff, lawyers, and community leaders working to promote social and environmental justice through the law.
Fundamentally, the PLN believes that the law can be used as a force for good. Broadly, we strive to encourage engagement with legal issues and the exchange of progressive legal ideas. On a practical level, we support students who are interested in pursuing alternative legal careers.
What we do
- Provide careers information for students interested in alternative legal careers, environmental law, human rights law and social justice.
- Foster connections between students, legal professionals and community advocacy organisations.
- Host thought-provoking events and seminars with guest speakers on topical areas of public interest law
- Encourage students to utilise their university education to effect positive social change, for example by submitting policy proposals concerning public interest law issues.
- Engage students with challenges faced by their communities.
- Encourage intelligent and informed legal activism and advocacy.
Number of positions within organisation:
The PLN consists of a committee of nine undergraduate students from Monash University. The committee has three core portfolios through which it operates: Events, Careers and Marketing & Social Media. Three subcommittees (comprising graduate and undergraduate students) support the work of these respective portfolios. All positions are voluntary.
Information for volunteers
What sort of volunteer or internship opportunities are available?
We love members! PLN members receive a fortnightly email profiling events, news and opportunities relating to public interest law. PLN members also receive exclusive access to certain events, such as our mentoring program. An annual membership is $5 for Monash University students who hold MSA membership or $10 for those who don’t. Sign up at https://portal.msa.monash.edu/ or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those interested in supporting the PLN’s activities can get involved by joining the committee or one of the subcommittees.
- All committee positions are open annually for contestation at the AGM in September. Vacant committee positions may also arise at other times during the year.
- Subcommittees are usually selected annually in November/December, however again, vacancies may arise at other times during the year.
What are you looking for in a volunteer?
No prior experience is required. The PLN will provide volunteers with a wealth of knowledge regarding event management, marketing, networking and careers. What we require of our volunteers is great communication skills, motivation, commitment, reliability, organisation, a wealth of ideas and most importantly, a passion for public interest law!
Volunteers can assist with delegated tasks or steer their own new projects.
Contact person for volunteers
To find out how you can get involved, contact the PLN via email. Prospective volunteers can also monitor our Facebook page for advertisements concerning committee and subcommittee vacancies.