Global Internship Program
Interns may apply for up to 3 internships.
The 2019 host organisations are:
- Indigenous internship to the UN Human Rights Council
- Internship with Human Rights First, New York City
- Internship with the International Women's Rights Action Watch - Asia Pacific, Kuala Lumpur and Geneva.
- Internship with the Southern Africa Litigation Centre, Johannesburg.
- Internship with Reprieve, United States.
- July 23, 2018 - applications open
- August 20, 2018 - applications close
- August 27- 31, 2018 - interviews
- September 21, 2018 - successful candidates notified
- October 5, 2018 - cross-cultural training and alumni event
Thanks to the generosity of the Monash Law Faculty, Michael and Silvia Kantor, the Nordia Foundation and the Bennelong Foundation, these internships receive funding designed to offset the majority of the interns' costs. Funding ranges from $7000 to $9100, based on living and travel costs in each city. In addition, the University provides full travel insurance for the duration of the internship.
- We are looking for people who have a specific interest in the work of the institution/s they are applying for and can demonstrate/articulate this interest.
- We understand that not everyone has the means or time to volunteer. If this is the case for you, please be sure to explain why.
“I am honoured to have been one of the Castan Centre’s first global interns. It was invaluable to have the opportunity to see the international human rights system working in practice and to better understand what skills and experience I would need to start a human rights career.”
globally recognised business and human rights experts
NB: when submitting your application you will be asked to provide:
- Brief cover letter (no longer than 600 words in length) setting out your reasons for applying for the internship/s and showing a proven interest in the work and mission of each organisation you are applying for. We recommend you provide a separate heading for each internship you apply for. The letter must be a minimum size 12 font and double spaced. Students applying for more than one internship can add an additional 200 words for each additional internship
- Academic transcript (unofficial WES version acceptable)
- A written reference is required for the Indigenous Internship, however this can be submitted at a later date, after selection of interviewees.