The Australian Centre for Justice Innovation (ACJI) was established in 2011 as a research centre in the Faculty of Law at Monash University. ACJI conducts high quality research and evaluation to support effective policy and practice innovation. We also have a proud tradition of providing research training opportunities for outstanding undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students.
ACJI’s research provides an evidence base for effective improvements to law and justice systems and increased accessibility for system users and stakeholders. Our work builds on the Monash Law Faculty’s strong history of research excellence and promoting social justice. Our approach is collaborative, collegial and transdisciplinary.
ACJI’s research, education and engagement programs focus on justice innovation in the following key areas:
Dispute resolution and civil justice
- ADR (including mediation, arbitration), civil litigation and assessing system performance and procedural reform
Access to justice
- Making the law and legal systems more user-friendly and accessible, including through the use of technology and service innovation
- Restorative justice, procedural justice, problem-solving approaches and therapeutic jurisprudence
The future of lawyering and the legal profession
- Sustainability and wellbeing in the legal profession, the dynamics of legal services markets, and lawyering and legal education in the 21st century
Legal technology and innovation
- Online dispute resolution, legal profession disruption and digital legal information
- Empirical legal research and evaluation to build the evidence base for driving reform and better practice
In addition to our research and education programs, ACJI actively contributes to the public discussion on justice innovation. ACJI events provide opportunities for the community to hear from thought leaders in justice innovation. ACJI’s personnel are frequently involved in public events and media appearances.
To learn more about ACJI’s recent community engagement, read more on how the Centre is innovating access to civil justice in a rapidly changing world here.