Travel Grants Guidelines
Travel grants help fund travel and other costs associated with presenting at conferences on education practice, programs or innovation. Applicants may receive up to $2000 towards attending a conference either within Australia or internationally. Grant money can be used for either travel expenses and/or conference expenses such as registration fees and accommodation.
MEA Travel Grants support educators to disseminate educational research and teaching innovation in support of Focus Education. The intention is to build upon the reputation of Monash as leaders in Education and to enable educators to disseminate at national and global conferences, to collaborate and to progress career and academic profiles.
- Only Monash University staff, tenured and fixed term, may apply; sessional staff are ineligible
- Staff on fixed term contracts are eligible if their period of employment covers the duration of the grant period or period of travel
- Applicants must be presenting at conferences on education practice, programs or innovation
- Applicants may receive a maximum of one travel grant per year
- MEA Fellows will receive priority access to MEA Travel Grants
- Applicants apply as individuals not as team members
- Applicants may reapply if previously unsuccessful
- Applicants are ineligible to apply where a report from a prior Monash Education Academy awarded grant has not been submitted
- Monash Sunway staff should direct all Grant applications and any queries to Education Excellence at email@example.com
- PhD students are not eligible to apply
- Education Portfolio staff are not eligible to apply and should discuss conference travel with their manager
- Travel must be undertaken within 12 months of being awarded a grant
- Grant funding is not retrospective
- Applications should be focused on higher education teaching and learning rather than disciplinary conferences.
- Applications are required to demonstrate alignment with Focus Education.
- Proposals must have the support of the applicant’s Head of Department (Supervisor)
- Faculties will determine suitability of applicant’s intended travel dates in view of work/ responsibilities pre-assigned
- Incomplete forms will not be considered.
There will be four (4) Travel Grant Rounds in 2019, with opening and closing dates as follows:
|Round||Round opening date||Closing date|
|1||18 February 2019||31 March 2019|
|2||1 April 2019||19 May 2019|
|3||20 May 2019 (closed due to expended funds)||30 June 2019|
|4||19 August 2019 (closed due to expended funds)||29 September 2019|
Travel grants will be offered until the 2019 funds are expended. Rounds offerings are therefore conditional on remaining funds.
Travel grant funding for 2019 is closed and has now been fully allocated.
Applications will be assessed on a competitive basis by a panel of senior academic and professional staff. Applicants will be ranked to ensure a spread across the University, the significance of the contribution to be made through the travel, its relatedness to teaching and learning in higher education and its the perceived significance to the university and/ or the individual. The panel’s decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
Notification of result of application
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application within three weeks of the close of the submission round.
Please use the budget template provided. The budget must include a breakdown of costs up to a maximum of $2000 for Travel Grants. Please note that all values are to be in Australian dollars.
Sharing your learning
Recipients of MEA Travel Grants are encouraged to share what they have learned with other Monash staff in their department/school/ faculty and the wider University (for example at the MEA Learning and Teaching Conference) so that the benefits to education at Monash are shared more widely.