Green Chemical Futures
The Green Chemical Futures supports academic and industrial research within the chemicals and plastics sector in Australia and provides world-class research to expand Australia's 'green workforce'.
It has a distinctive facade resembling a molecular structure and contains spaces for chemistry teaching and research. The open-plan ground floor enables collaborative problem solving while the remaining floors offer over 1100 laboratory spaces for students and industry.
Designed to be flexible for future growth and changing pedagogies, the open and highly visible circulation provides opportunities for casual encounters between students, staff and industry partners.
Key design features
- houses over 100 chemists and engineers
- allows the growth of basic science research to targeted industry-driven research
- it has 17 specialist sectors, training programmes for industry practitioners
- laboratory spaces available for over 1000 students and 100 industry partners.
- the lower levels of the building contain teaching and learning spaces and the upper floors house the research and translational facilities.
- underground storage tanks harvesting rainwater from the adjoining Earth Sciences Garden
- rooftop skylight filtering natural light through the central atrium
- 5 Star Green Star As Built rating.