Wikis (Moodle activity)
The Wiki activity in Moodle allows you to enable participants to add and edit a collection of web pages individually or collaboratively.
Suggestions on how to use this tool:
- Co-create information with students collaborating on building content.
- Organise information on a wiki set up to only allow editing by the lecturer.
- Create individual wikis for summative assessment.
- Using a wiki in group work, with each group using a separate wiki to create a portfolio or add research.
- Create different wikis for students to brainstorm an idea in groups
Create a wiki
- Click Turn editing on in the top right corner.
- In the topic where you want to add a resource or activity, click +Add an activity or resource.
- The Add an activity or resource pop-out box will appear. Click Wiki.
- In the Name field, give your wiki a title.
- In the Description field, enter a short description which will be displayed when respondents click on your Wiki activity.
- Enter a title for the first page of the wiki in the First page name field.
- Edit the remaining wiki properties as required.
- Once you have finished editing the properties of your wiki, click Save and return to unit.
Once you have created your wiki and adjusted the properties as necessary, you can start to create a page for your wiki.
- From your unit page, click on the wiki. This will open the create page.
- Enter a name for the New page title.
- Select a format for your wiki page.
- Click Create page.
Edit a page
- From your unit page, click on the wiki in which the page you want to edit resides.
- Click on the Edit tab to make your amendments.
- Once you have finished editing the wiki page, click Save.
Once you have set up your wiki with at least one page, you can access different actions with the wiki menu tabs. From left to right:
- View your wiki pages
- Edit wiki pages (see above)
- Comment on wiki pages. Click on the Add comment link, add your comments into the Comment field and click Save changes.
- View wiki history
- Map wiki pages. Choose what you would like to see from the Map menu drop down menu.
- See files associated with this wiki. Click Edit wiki files to edit the files associated with this wiki.
- Wiki Administration. Remove pages or delete page revisions.