Using LabArchives Inbox
What is the LabArchives Inbox?
The LabArchives Inbox contains files that have been exported from other applications (such as GraphPad Prism) or emailed directly to your ELN. Thus, you can use the Inbox to put data in your Notebooks via email. This is particularly useful, for example, if you obtain a file from someone via email, you need only forward it to your Inbox.
How do I send files to my Inbox?
- Send files from the email address that is associated with your LabArchives account.
- Send files to firstname.lastname@example.org (if you have an international account as a collaborator, send your files to email@example.com).
- If you are using GraphPad Prism version 5.04 or higher, you can export projects from Prism directly to LabArchives where they will appear in the Inbox.
How do I Manage Files in your Inbox?
- Any e-mail text will appear as Rich Text entry and any file attachments will appear as Attachments. If the email contains multiple Attachments, each will be a separate Entry.
- All files will remain in the Inbox until they are moved to a Page in your Notebook. To move a file, select the Notebook into which you want to place an Entry, and use the "Move" function.
- See Inbox Rules (below) to learn how you can set up rules to automatically move files matching the rules to specified Notebooks.
How do I use Inbox Rules?
LabArchives provides a feature that enables you to establish rules by which files of a specific type(s) are moved automatically into a designated Folder upon arrival in your Inbox. Within that Folder, they are automatically organised into a Subfolder by the year, and then into Individual Pages by date within that year.
To create or edit these Rules:
- Click on the Inbox at the top of the Notebook Navigator, then click on Inbox Rules in Page Tools at the top of the screen.
- You will then see the Inbox Rules Editor.
- Select the type of files to which you want to apply this Rule from the drop down menu at the top. LabArchives has predefined a number of common file types (e.g. Image files, GraphPad Prism files, etc.), or you can define your own by entering the corresponding file extensions.
- Then choose the Notebook to which you want to move these files, and finally, choose the Folder by clicking on the Browse Folders button.
- Finally, click on Save to finish creating this Rule
As your Rules are created, you may Edit them by selecting the Edit function. You may also remove or reorder them (since they are applied in sequential order).