In order to comply with current lockdown restrictions in Victoria, we are temporarily pausing holds requests. We apologise for the inconvenience this causes and we hope we're able to resume this service soon.
All current Monash staff, students and alumni will be able to request on loan items in Search, as well as items not held at their home campus.
Use your Monash University ID card or Library member card to borrow from any of our Victorian campus libraries.
Find Monash University Library resources using Search.
Sign in to Search and select 'My Loans' to check due dates of your loans, or view fines and requests.
Monash staff and students
- Undergraduates (including Monash College Diploma students): 30 items initially for 2 weeks.
- Postgraduates, honours and staff: unlimited loans initially for 4 weeks.
- Monash eligible off-campus students and staff can have Library items sent directly to their address through the postal loan [personal delivery] service. An initial loan period of 4 weeks allows for postal delivery time each way.
- Monash online students are not eligible for postal loans.
Monash English Language Centre (MUELC) students (MEB/IAP)
- You can borrow in person from any of the Victorian campus libraries.
- You can borrow 15 items, initially for 2 weeks.
- All items, except those in high demand and those requested by other users, are automatically renewed.
- You can request items that are on loan to someone else (see 'Requesting items' below).
- You cannot borrow high-demand items or journals
- You are not eligible to request postal loans
Borrowing high-demand or restricted loan material
- High demand items may have a loan period of 14 days or less.
- Some materials have more restrictive loan conditions.
- For full details see Special materials.
After the initial borrowing period, items are automatically renewed unless
- it is requested by another user
- it is restricted material
- you have overdue loans
- you have reached the maximum loan period of 52 weeks.
You can check the status of your current loans, due dates, requests and fines in Search. Select 'Sign in' then 'My Loans'.
- You should also receive a courtesy email a few days before the end of your loan period.
- The item must be returned by the due date specified in My Loans or courtesy notice.
- It is your responsibility to return items by the due date.
- If you have an item that is overdue, you cannot borrow and other items you have on loan will no longer be automatically renewed. Fines will apply to all items that are overdue.
- 24-hour returns are available at all libraries.
- During opening hours, you can return items at any of our libraries using the returns chute inside.
- You can also post items to any of our branch libraries in Victoria. Check the address of the library.
- You can request items currently on loan or available at a different campus. Find the item in Search, select 'Get it', Request and then your pick-up location.
- You may not be able to request high demand and other restricted loan material.
- You can request Special Collections material to be picked up and viewed only in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- If you are designated as Off-campus, you can request the item be posted to your home [student] or office [staff]. Select "Personal Delivery" from the list of pick-up locations. You can return items at any of our libraries or pay for return post.
- You will receive an email when your requested item is ready for collection. Items awaiting collection are placed on the hold shelves at the pick up location under your name. You have 7 days to pick up the item after which it will be returned to the shelves.
- To cancel a request before it becomes available, select 'My Loans' then select 'Requests' to view a list of your requests. Select the 'Cancel' link as appropriate.
Arrangements for placements or teaching rounds
Students on medical or nursing placement or teaching rounds may be permitted to borrow for longer periods. Contact Hargrave-Andrew Library staff for more information.
The Borrowing brochure summarises how to borrow from the Library.