Fines and penalties
When you have an overdue item you cannot borrow or place a request and your loans will not be automatically renewed. Return your books to resume these activities.
Fines apply if items are returned late. Items must be returned no later than 10 minutes before the library closes on the due date. There are no out-of-hours return facilities at Matheson or Caulfield Libraries but they are open for long hours during semester, allowing you to return your items when the library is open .
You may return any items to an out-of-hours return chute at Law, Hargrave-Andrew, Peninsula or Pharmacy Libraries.
Fines accrue for overdue items for all library users. Once fines reach $25 (undergraduates and non-Monash users) or $50 (postgraduates, honours and staff), they must be paid. Fines for lost or damaged items are a minimum of $150 per item.
Fines will remain active for the whole time that a student studies or a staff member is employed at the University.
Avoid fines by:
- monitoring your email; an email alert will advise the due date/s for items
- returning items to Library before the due date
- checking your loans and accrued fines via the Library tile on my.monash or after signing in to Search
- borrow items yourself and print out a loans receipt.
The fine charged depends on the item:
- Standard loans: 50 cents per item per day
- Short loans /overnight loans: $5 per item per day.
- Reserve loans: 10 cents per minute.
- Group study room keys: 10 cents per minute.
- Locker keys (three-hour loan): 10 cents per minute.
- Locker keys (one-day loan): $5 per day.
- Lost or damaged items: Minimum $150 per item. Exceptions to the standard fee may apply in the case of unusually expensive items.
- Lost keys: $30 for locker keys, $150 for replacement of carrel door locks and keys.
To pay fines by credit card, phone + 61 3 9902 6011 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
For further payment options see How to pay your fine.
Students who do not pay fines or do not return long overdue items may be encumbered. This means you will not be able to use Monash online services, re-enrol, access your results or graduate.