Coursework enrolment and annual re-enrolment

Annual Re-Enrolment

All PhD and Master’s by Research are required to re-enrol in their research degrees toward the end of each calendar year. This applies even if you are on leave, and if you not certain that you will be returning to study in the following year.

Re-enrolment dates and timeline

Use the Web Enrolment System (WES) to re-enrol.

Please refer to the University Re-enrolment for Research Students web page for detailed guidance.

Remember to login to WES using your student username, not a staff username (if you have one).

  • 8 October – 28 November 2018: Re-enrolment
  • 29 November – 7 December 2018: Late re-enrolment. $325 fee applies if enrollng during this period.

Reminder e-mails will be sent in October.

Do not leave re-enrolment until the last day: the University will not waive the late enrolment fee due to WES access problems.

Do I need to re-enrol?

Yes, or you will lose your student privileges including library and Internet access, and you will have a substantial late reenrolment fine, even if you subsequently withdraw from the course.

You need to re-enrol online at the end of every year. You still need to enrol for the next year, even if you are intending to submit in late December this year, and even if you will be on leave for the following year. Exception: Candidates who are currently under examination (have already submitted their thesis and held the Examination Exhibition if practice based) do not need to re-enrol.

Coursework unit enrolment

PhD, Master of Design by Research, and Master of Fine Art all have compulsory coursework units. Coursework enrolment cannot be completed via the online Web Enrolment System (WES).

Check what coursework units you have remaining to complete:

  1. Check the coursework requirements for your course (see Course Requirements section of );
  2. Check your completed or currently enrolled units:
    • Log on to WES
    • Course Progression: Unofficial academic record
    • view units for your current course

If you need to undertake a coursework unit in 2019, complete the Enrolment Amendment Form (pdf, 61kb) and submit the form to by 28 November 2018.


Please note if you are currently encumbered you will not be able to re-enrol or access university services. The late fine will still be applied if you are unable to re-enrol due to an encumbrance.

To resolve encumbrances please contact Monash Connect