Creative Precincts - policy and possibility
Victoria’s new strategy for the creative industries, Creative State 2025, includes a commitment to support and strengthen Victoria's creative neighbourhoods with secure and accessible workspaces and facilities for creatives and to foster vibrant creative hubs. At Monash, a team of academics and professional staff is working on the possibility of developing a “creative hub” at the University’s Caulfield campus, with the aspiration to co-locate artists, practitioners and businesses from across a range of creative industries to inspire innovative research collaborations and enterprising educational opportunities for students.
- What are the intersections between the government’s strategy and vision for a creative hub at Monash?
- What is the role of a university as the anchor institution of a creative hub?
- And how might a creative hub at Monash Caulfield contribute to Victoria’s cultural life and creative economy?
- Dr Xin Gu (Senior Lecturer in Communications and Media Studies, Monash University)
- Professor Mel Dodd (Head of Architecture, Monash University)
- Anna Huggins (Manager, Infrastructure Strategy & Development, Creative Victoria)
Moderator: Associate Professor (Practice) Rebecca Forgasz (Project Fellow - Monash Creative Precinct, School of Media, Film and Journalism, Monash University)
This panel is run by the School of Media, Film and Journalism as part of Creative Directions an annual festival of ideas and industry know-how exploring critical issues shaping the contemporary media, cultural and communications industries.