The Pathology Board develops, implements, reviews and integrates all pathology curriculum material including haematology, microbiology and tissue pathology for the Monash MBBS. The Board sets up lectures and cases for the pathology courses, and discusses changes with each year’s curriculum committee.
Professor Ruth Salom
MBBS, MD, MBA, BMedSc(Hons), MIAC, FRCPA, FAICD
Professor Ruth Salom re-joined Monash University in January 2014, to oversight and review the MBBS pathology teaching. During the period of 1990 – 2004 Ruth administered Pathology teaching at Monash University, establishing one of the first virtual museums of pathology in Australia. Ruth now rejoins the academic staff to further enhance the pathology teaching as Director of the Pathology Board.
Ruth is a Monash graduate with over 25 years' experience working in health as an academic, pathologist, researcher and health manager. After graduating in medicine Ruth completed her MD in the Department of Pathology and Immunology at Monash University, which was followed by a period of research at Hammersmith Hospital London. Ruth then went on to specialise in Surgical Pathology and complete an MBA, turning to hospital and pathology management.
Ruth’s most recent experience includes:
- Inaugural Executive Director SA Pathology, South Australia - From 2008 – 2012 Ruth was the Inaugural Executive Director of SA Pathology. SA Pathology provides pathology testing, selected clinical services as well as significant research, with an overall budget of over $280M. She was responsible for the formation of the single state pathology service by bring together more than 1800 staff across 17 hospitals. Ruth was also responsible for major research initiatives including the formation of the Centre of Cancer Biology and the establishment of the South Australian Genomics Facility.
- Director, National Health Advisory, KPMG – Ruth has been involved in various project which increase value to the various health care clients in both public as well as private organizations.
- Non Executive Director, Melbourne Health – Ruth is a member of the Board, Clinical Governance and Improvement Committee, Audit Committee and a standing member of Finance and Primary Health committees.
- Non Executive Director, Peninsula Health – Ruth was member of the Board as well as member of Human Ethics Committee, Planning Committee and Quality and Safety Committee.
- Managing Director, Medvet Pty Ltd - Responsible to the Board of Medvet Pty Ltd for running a diverse Health business.
- Doctor of Medicine, Monash University
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Monash University
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Monash University, Honours
- Master of Business Administration, Melbourne University
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Pathology
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors