2017 Hot Topics Symposium - Infections in the Immunocompromised Host
Hot Topics Symposium - Infections in the Immunocompromised Host (ICH)
- Date: Saturday 9 – Sunday 10 September 2017
- Time: Saturday 0900 – 1800 & Sunday 0900 - 1300
- Venue: Alfred Medical Research and Education Precinct (AMREP), AMREP Lecture Theatre, Ground Floor, 55 Commercial Road, Melbourne, VIC, Australia, 3004.
- Please click here for the most up to date program (will be updated soon)
Registration (Registrations close: Monday 4 September 2017)
- Registration link
- Early Bird (Until 11 August 2017)
- Registrars/Students/Pharmacists/Allied Health: $350.00
- Consultants: $450.00
- After 11 August 2017
- Registrars/Students/Pharmacists/Allied Health: $400.00
- Consultants: $500.00
- Early Bird (Until 11 August 2017)
Advances in modern medicine continually expand the breadth, depth and complexity of immunosuppression in a wide range of patient groups. We are now faced with managing an array of solid-organ and stem cell transplant types, and new chemotherapeutics and biological agents for cancer and inflammatory conditions, all of which contributes to an increasing population with altered immune function. Infections remain one of the greatest threats to long term survival in these patients. Up-to-date knowledge on how to prevent, diagnose and treat such infections is crucially important to optimise outcomes in those who are immunosuppressed.
As a follow up to our Advanced Course, we are excited to announce a “Hot Topics Symposium on Infections in Immunocompromised Hosts”. This year’s program will be a 1.5 day symposium covering focused and topical areas, and will be strongly weighted toward clinical case and panel discussions. Areas such as CMV therapeutics, NTM, donor derived infections, clinical utility of measuring net state of immunosuppression, immune response to fungi and antimicrobial resistance in ICH, are a few examples that will be covered.
It will be structured around lectures, case presentations and panel discussions, and will be delivered by national and international experts in the field. Educational course material will be provided to all registrants.
We are excited to have Prof Emily Blumberg MD as our international guest educator. Prof. Blumberg is Professor of Medicine at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, where she is the Director of Transplant Infectious Diseases and the Infectious Diseases Fellowship Program. She is a former chair of the OPTN/UNOS Ad Hoc Disease Transmission Advisory Committee. Her research focuses on donor derived infections and viral infections in transplant recipients, including HIV and HCV. She is an Associate Editor for the American Journal of Transplantation and Transplant Infectious Diseases, Treasurer of the American Society for Transplantation, and co-chair of the US Health and Human Services Advisory Committee on Blood and Tissue Safety and Availability.
We also have leading national experts in the area of infections in immunocompromised hosts including those from interstate and locally.
International Speaker - Asia Pacific
Dr Louis Chai, Consultant, Infectious Diseases Physician, Department Of Medicine,National University Hospital, Singapore
The content has been developed by the scientific committee which includes:
- Prof. Anton Peleg (Professor and Director, Department of Infectious Diseases, Alfred Health & Monash University),
- Dr. Orla Morrissey (Infectious Diseases Physician, Department of Infectious Diseases, Alfred Health & Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Monash University),
- Prof Debbie Marriott (Senior Staff Specialist, Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, St. Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney and Professor, University of New South Wales),
- Dr. Claire Dendle (Infectious Diseases Physician, Monash Medical Centre and Adjunct Senior Lecturer, School of Clinical Sciences, Monash Health and Monash University)
- Dr. Olivia Smibert (Infectious Diseases Fellow, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre).
The course has been endorsed by the
- Australasian Society of Infectious Diseases (ASID)
- Asia Pacific Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infection (APSCMI)
Please find below a list of accommodation option near the Advanced Course venue.
Art Series Hotels
637-641 Chapel St, South Yarra VIC 3141
+61 3 9040 1222
164 Commercial road, Prahran VIC 3181
+61 3 9098 1555
Punt Hill Serviced Apartments
Punt Hill – South Yarra
44 Davis Avenue, South Yarra VIC 3141
+61 3 9863 0555
Punt Hill – South Yarra Grand
7 Yarra Street, South Yarra VIC 3141
+61 3 9916 8888
9 Balmoral St, South Yarra VIC 3141
+61 3 9823 8888
Mantra, St Kilda Road
568 St Kilda Road Prahran VIC 3004
+61 7 5665 4450
Bayview on the Park
52 Queens Road, Melbourne VIC 3004
+61 3 9243 9999