Platforms and facilities
As part of the Alfred Research Alliance, the Central Clinical School (CCS) is at the forefront of translational research, allowing us to rapidly translate our research discoveries into improved patient treatments. To support CCS researchers in their quest to tackle some of medicine’s most complex challenges we are home to a selection of world-class facilities, platforms and state-of-the-art equipment.
Facilities and platforms
The Bioinformatics Platform at A+ aims to facilitate research groups through empowerment and education of bioinformatics skills. Training material and workshops are available to members of the Central Clinical School.
**For most projects, it is strongly recommended to contact the MBP early on as part of the experimental design process and not after the data has been acquired**
Training material available to CCS staff through MBP and Monash Data Fluency:
- RNA-Seq basics
- Introduction to R
- Introduction to Python
- Other courses can be developed and delivered.
- Monash Bioinformatics Platform Manager, Dr Deanna Deveson Lucas, Ph: + 61 3 9902 9186 | E: email@example.com
- Please visit the Monash Bioinformatics Platform website
ARAFlowCore is a flow cytometry facility providing world-class flow cytometry services to scientists from Monash University, the Burnet and Baker Institutes, the Alfred Hospital as well as commercial entities in Melbourne, Australia. Flow cytometry is an incredibly powerful tool in biomedical research for analysing the characteristics of cells, organisms and particles on an individual basis. The facility manages three high speed sorters for cell isolation, an imaging cytometer and six analysers, including a state of the art 5-laser spectral analyser, collectively making the facility one of the top centres in Australia. Importantly, the facility’s experienced staff operate the sorters and provide training and assistance for the analysers, along with expert assistance in experimental design.
- Mélanie Le Page, ARAFlowCore Facility Manager, Ph: + 61 3 9903 0661, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.monash.edu/researchinfrastructure/araflowcore
The Monash Histology Platform’s AMREP node was established in 2014 to support the needs of researchers and students of the Alfred Research Alliance (ARA) precinct. The Histology Platform also provides services for researchers from other institutes and external clients. Our aim is to provide a high quality, reliable and cost-effective histological service.
Histology involves the study of the microscopic anatomy of cells and tissues. Tissues are carefully processed, sectioned and stained revealing delicate morphological features that can indicate health or disease for research, education or clinical studies. The Histology Platform has two service models:
- A full ‘Professional’ end-to-end service provided by specialist staff
- A ‘Do it Yourself’ service providing access to laboratory facilities, specialist equipment and consumables.
*In addition, the experienced Histology team can provide advice, training and research assistance in:
- Project planning
- Specimen preparation, orientation and dissection
- Specimen cassetting – multi-specimen, biopsy and mega block cassetting; digital cassette printing service
- Processing – fixation to paraffin, resin and freezing for cryotomy
- Sectioning – paraffin, vibratome, resin or frozen sections
- Slide staining and coverslipping – H&E and special stains; automated or manual
- Immunohistochemistry – antigen retrieval using the Dako PT Link; automated or manual optimisation of antibodies; and automated staining utilising the Dako Autostainer Link unit
- Micro Tissue Array (TMA) – creation of multi tissue blocks to suit your needs; sectioning of TMAs for further studies
- Slide scanning – brightfield and fluorescence scanning services
- Optical clearing – using the X-Clarity™ Polymerisation System
*Some of these services are available through the main Histology Platform laboratory located on the Clayton campus.
- Ms Camilla Cohen, Monash Histology Platform Manager, Monash University, Ph: + 61 3 9905 2740, email@example.com
- Kitty Feng, MHP-AMREP Node Senior Histology Officer, Monash University, Ph: +61 3 9903 0637, firstname.lastname@example.org (onsite Tuesdays & Thursdays)
Monash Micro Imaging has established a node at Central Clinical School to manage the core imaging resources. MMI@ARA+ coordinates and facilitates microscopy resources and is responsible for microscopy training and research support. Training sears and workshops are also conducted to help broaden understanding of imaging. MMI@ARA+ staff are available to assist with experimental design, and techniques such as live and fixed cells imaging, time-lapse, 3D, high resolution of large areas, DIC and ion imaging such as Ca 2+ and pH.
We offer the following services:
- Full Registration - Cost $500: includes unlimited training, project assistance with optimising microscopy experiments, theory sessions and image analysis training. Access to microscope bookings at subsidized rate of: Motorised Widefield $15 p/h; Confocal $25 p/h, Non-motorised microscope colour camera $5 p/h. These are the most competitive hourly rates in Melbourne.
- Basic Registration - entry level Cost $100: includes training on non-motorised microscope, assistance with image analysis . Access to subsidized rates.
- Run a Trial - to assist researchers at ARA + who wish to get access to the microscopes for images for grant applications; but do not wish to pay for yearly access.
Trial users will need to request access through iLAB and register 'Run a Trial'. MMI will not charge a registration fee but will offer users ASSISTED access only at the higher price of $60 p/h on confocal or $40 p/h on a motorised fluorescent microscope.
- Request a test free of charge - We open access to other MMI facilities to offer these services by agreement with the local manager.
MMI@ARA+ is located on level 6 of the Burnet Building within the Department of Immunology and Pathology.
- Irena (Iśka) Carmichael, MMI@ARA+ Platform Manager, Ph: + 61 3 9903 0142 E: email@example.com
- Samantha Warren, MMI@ARA+ Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rebecca Reismanis, Ph: +61 3 9903 0738 | E: email@example.com