Clinical Placements information
Page Last Updated 21 Jun 2022 9:16am
Monash University COVID-19 Fact Sheet updates – please monitor
Worker Vaccination Requirements
A healthcare worker is a person (including a volunteer or student) that is employed or engaged as a contractor to perform work at a healthcare setting. Students must therefore comply with the following to attend clinical placement.
TGA approved vaccines
According to Department of Health and the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), the following COVID-19 vaccines meet the vaccination requirements in Australia:
- AstraZeneca Vaxzevria
- Moderna Spikevax
- Pfizer Comirnaty
- Coronavac (Sinovac)
- Covishield (AstraZeneca/Serum Institute of India) vaccines
- COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen
- Covaxin (manufactured by Bharat Biotech, India)
- BBIBP-CorV (manufactured by Sinopharm, China)
- Sputnik V (Gamaleya Research Institute)
- Nuvaxovid (Biocelect on behalf of Novavax).
Monash will accept any of these vaccines with the appropriate proof of vaccination.
Mask Fit Test requirements to support student clinical placements
The Victorian Respiratory Protection Program was introduced by the Victorian Government to support healthcare workers protect themselves against acquiring respiratory illness by minimising the risk of exposure to respiratory hazards. This risk mitigation includes education and training in the correct application of Respiratory Protection Equipment (RPE).
Department of Health guidance documents and factsheets can be found:
Mask Fit Video
Fit Testing Induction video developed by Monash OHS team
Dept of Health - Student Clinical Placement Covid-19 Guidance
This guidance applies to all students who undertake clinical placements in Victoria as part of their health course, across both health and aged care practice settings.
Faculty MNHS Mandatory Compliance – upload vaccine evidence to InPlace
Students undertaking a Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences course with clinical or fieldwork placements must demonstrate compliance with police, working with children checks and immunisation requirements.
MNHS compliance webpage:
Upload vaccine and other compliance evidence directly to InPlace.
Log a positive case by Students
- If you are a Monash student and you test positive to COVID-19, or are identified as a household contact of a person who has tested positive to COVID-19, you are advised to complete this form to notify your chief examiner.
- COVID-19 confirmed cases and exposure locations can be viewed from the Covid-19 Updates webpage.
- A PhD student who is also a Monash staff member will need to complete both the student and staff form.
- MRS students will need to speak to their Residential Support Team Officer or the MRS Administration Office before completing the form.
Advice to students about volunteering on clinical placement
The health, safety and wellbeing of all our students, including those completing approved course-related clinical placements, is our top priority.
The University is here to support you during your placement. This includes ensuring you are safe, that you feel comfortable and confident in your placement, and that you have the appropriate insurance and indemnity cover in place.
Whilst on clinical placement we strongly discourage you from undertaking activities that are outside the scope of your approved clinical placement. No coercion or pressure, perceived or real, should be placed on you to perform work or activity for any role outside your clinical placement.
If you are concerned about your placement activities or are feeling unsafe, please contact your unit coordinator.
Should you choose to work in a volunteer position outside the scope of your clinical placement, this is a personal decision, and you will not be covered from an insurance or indemnity perspective by the University.
We recommend becoming a registered volunteer of the health service or charity. Before applying for any volunteer positions, please read our volunteering advice