Preparing for your Sugar Malabsorption Breath Test
Prior to attending each breath test, there are a few requirements that need to be followed to ensure your test results are accurate:
4 weeks before tests:
Avoid undertaking any bowel preparation procedures (such as colonoscopy)
2 weeks before tests:
Avoid taking any antibiotics or probiotics (e.g., Yakult, Inner Health Plus) for 2 weeks prior or during your tests. If you have an illness that requires antibiotics, please notify us and we will postpone your tests.
A day before tests:
- Avoid taking vitamins, minerals, laxatives or anti-diarrhoeal agents one full day before each test unless absolutely necessary.
- You are required to follow the low FODMAP diet for 24 hours before your test. For a list of foods that are allowed on this diet please click on the link found on this webpage to download the patient information brochure.
- For tests starting at 8am: You will need to fast from 8.00pm the night before. You can have water during this time.
- For tests starting at 10am: You will need to fast from 10pm the night before. You can have water during this time.
For tests starting at 12noon: You can have a light breakfast before 7am with foods that are allowed on the diet.
On the morning of your tests:
- It is recommended that medications are not taken for the period of the test. However, this matter should be discussed with your doctor first.
- If it is absolutely necessary that you stay on your medications, tests can still be conducted but please inform the breath testing staff.
- Anti-depressants and the contraceptive pill do not need to be ceased.
- Each test will take 2-3 hours and need to be completed on separate days. There are some magazines and a television provided for entertainment. Please also feel free to bring your own reading material or computer.
- It is important to remember that a major purpose of breath testing is to assist a dietitian in individualising the low FODMAP diet (diet low in fermentable carbohydrates - fructose, lactose, fructans, GOS, sorbitol, mannitol) for functional gut symptoms. No matter what the results of the test, dietary advice is worth considering.
All of this information plus pre-test day diet food lists and tips can also be found in our breath testing brochure. Click here to download a brochure.
Test results will be sent to yourself and your referring practitioner (if you have one) after completion of ALL tests. This may take up to 10 working days.