Faecal Calprotectin Testing for Doctors and Pathology Companies
Another service on offer through our Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) laboratory and, to aid in the management of IBD and related disorders, is Faecal Calprotectin Testing. The Calprotectin protein is released from neutrophils due to infection or inflammation into the faeces and thus is a non-invasive marker of inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract (GI). It correlates with endoscopic disease activity and has become a very useful biomarker in clinical practice.
Faecal Calprotectin testing is routinely used to:
- Accurately differentiate IBD and Irritable Bowel Syndrome;
- Exclude an organic cause for diarrhoea;
- Avoid need for colonoscopy where patient unwilling/ unable to have procedure;
- Assess for active small bowel inflammation in Crohn’s Disease where routine endoscopic investigation(s) negative.
Protocol for Sample Collection and getting tests to us for analysis:
- Required amount of stool sample = Walnut or larger
- No fasting is required
- There is NO time of day requirement for taking of faecal samples and, there is no need to consider the time any medication was last taken.
- Keep sample at 4 degrees Celsius
- Do not freeze unless there is a time delay between collection and sending (>5 days)
- Transport to Eastern Health within the 6 day stability timeframe to make sure analysis is accurate. Any samples received OUTSIDE this time frame will be discarded and the Pathology Company notified for recollection
Transport sample to (doctors may like to put for pathology to send to Eastern Health on the referral):
Eastern Health Pathology
Level 5, Box Hill Hospital
Nelson Rd Box Hill 3128
Attn: GASTRO LAB
The cost for the faecal calprotectin testing is $75.00 and will be billed to the Pathology Company. Eastern Health Patients are billed at a discounted rate. There is currently no Medicare reimbursement for these tests. Our prices, however, are kept as low as possible to cover the associated laboratory costs only and to ensure the tests are available to as many patients as possible.
Reports are sent via the requesting Pathology Company. The turn-around time for the results is up to 2 weeks.
Click here to see an example of our calprotectin report.
Laboratory Contact details
Monash University, Eastern Health Department of Gastroenterology
IBD Gastroenterology Laboratory
Level 1, 5 Arnold St, Box Hill Vic 3128
Ph: 03 9895 4632