Would you like to be a mentor?
The Psychology Peer Mentoring Program is a program aimed at creating a fun and supportive community between peer mentors (typically, second or third year students) and first year students (mentees). Currently this mentoring program is specifically targeted towards supporting first year international students in the Bachelor of Psychology Honours.
As a mentor, you play a vital part in helping first year students make a smooth transition from high school to university life. You will meet with your mentees every few weeks and participate in fun activities to help your mentees settle in, make friends and have a fun and successful first year. As a mentor, you also receive training and support from academics and support staff.
What you can get out of the program as a Peer Mentor:
- A chance to develop your interpersonal and communication skills as you guide and assist students new to university life
- Opportunities to develop your leadership skills and talents
- Satisfaction of helping others
- Boost your CV through the experience and new skills gained
- Lifelong friendships with fellow students.
What we expect from you:
- Attend a short 10 minute interview on 9th May 2019
- Undertake LILO (Leap in to Leadership Online) training modules in mentorship and mental health.
- Attend a mentor training session on 18th July 2019
- Attend the welcome event in O-Week of semester 2, on 25th July 2019
- Correspond with first year international students studying in the Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) during semester 2, including organising two meetings with your Mentees
- Update your Program Coordinator to report progress of your Mentees and to relay information about upcoming social events Mentees
- Assist Mentees as they start their university life
- Check your Monash student email address for communication from the Program Coordinators
Applications close: 30 April 2019
Please complete the Psychology Peer Mentor application form.
If you have any queries, please contact the School of Psychological Sciences at email@example.com or 9905 3968 or the program coordinator directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.