Our Centres and Academic Units
The department is formed into Centres or Academic Units according to the natural specialities that exist within the discipline of psychiatry across the lifespan:
- Aged Mental Health Research Unit (AMHRU) - based primarily at Kingston Hospital with further psycho-geriatric beds opening at Dandenong Hospital.
- Consultation-Liaison Academic Unit (CLAU) - based at Monash Medical Centre with clinician outreach into Dandenong, Casey and Monash Moorabbin hospitals.
- The Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Service operates within the Centre for Developmental Psychiatry and Psychology (CDPP) at Monash Medical Centre.
- The Adult and Community Psychiatry Research is housed within the Southern Synergy Centre (SSC) at Dandenong Hospital.
- Forensic Psychiatry is based at Forensicare at Clifton Hill, with clinical staff also working at the Thomas Embling Forensic Hospital in Fairfield.
- Rural Psychiatry is based within the Bendigo Mental Health Service.
Tertiary Academic Units
Within the Discipline of Psychiatry our other academic centres are:
- Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre (Professor Dan Lubman).
- MAPrc, the Monash Alfred Psychiatry Research Centre (Professor Jayashri Kulkarni). We are based at the Alfred Hospital, a major teaching hospital in Melbourne, Australia. From here, we carry out world-class research to help make a difference to the lives of people suffering from serious mental illnesses.