About Orthopaedic Surgery Research
The Orthopaedic unit at Monash Health provides service for the treatment of both children and adults with orthopaedic conditions: upper and lower limb, major joints, hip and back problems and fractures or pain. Many of the children seen by this unit are managed on a long term basis. If you are thinking of a career in surgical research, the School of Clinical Sciences is a great place to start. We are located at Monash Medical Centre (MMC) Clayton within easy walking distance of both Monash University Clayton Campus and the Clayton Shopping District.
Orthopaedic surgery projects at Monash Health (Current and proposed)
- Mid term radiographic and clinical results of total shoulder arthroplasty using a short humeral stem(stemless) with a ceramic head prosthesis.and a 2-pegged, biconcave, cemented, all polyethylene glenoid .
- Comparison of radiolucent lines around a 2-pegged, biconcave, cemented, all polyethylene glenoid when used with a short stem (stemless) or a long stem humeral component.
- Randomised controlled trial; Prospective comparison of intra-articular gleno-humeral joint cortisone injection with cortisone injection plus hydrodilatation in the management of shoulder capsulitis.
- Development of a technique using the Kinect system to assess proprioception following anterior shoulder stabilisation.
- Postoperative pain, depression and the development of Postoperative Stiff Painful Shoulder after arthroscopic surgery.
- Sensitivity and specificity of 4 methods of shoulder assessment in the stiff painful shoulder.
- Outcomes for shoulder stabilisation using an extra-articular free coracoid graft in patients with antero-inferior instability and glenoid bone loss in a population of high-risk athletes at two years minimum follow-up.
- The role of the Laterjet procedure in the young contact athlete outcomes following anterior shoulder stabilisation.
- 4D CT scans facilitate pre-operative planning in snapping scapula syndrome
- Use of the 4D CT scan to assess glenoid tracking in patients with a tight posterior capsule.
- The tight posterior capsule of the shoulder causing acromio-clavicular joint pain. Clinical study using the 4D CT scan.
- Does a practice nurse assist the surgeon in patient perioperative education and improve post-operative care?
- Shoulder: Growth factors associated with adhesive capsulitis.
- Shoulder: Correlation and validation of shoulder scoring between medical practitioners, physiotherapists and patient self assessment.
- Outcomes following platelet-rich plasma injection for distal biceps tendinopathy.
- Outcomes of anterior interosseous nerve injury following shoulder surgery.
- Long term radiological outcomes in patients receiving a Reverse Shoulder Prosthesis for total shoulder replacement.
- Evaluation of the outcomes following the use of Orthikine (interleukin-1, inhibitor) injections for shoulder joint osteoarthritis.
- A follow-up, longitudinal study of the clinical and radiographic outcomes of participants that receive a Triathlon Custom Fit Knee® using Stryker ShapeMatch® Technology
- A Prospective, Multi-Centre Randomised Comparative Study of Implant Fit, Clinical Outcomes and Satisfaction with the Stryker Accolade II Hip Stem Compared to the Corail Hip Stem Accoladell-12
- At what level of pre-operative Haemoglobin can a THR/TKR be done without the patient needing a blood transfusion?
- Description of management of neck of femur fractures in patients less than 50 years
- Management of neck of femur fractures in patients with dementia
- Early aquatic physiotherapy for adults following total hip and total knee replacement surgery
- Australian & New Zealand Hip Fracture Registry (ANZHFR)
- Prosthetic Joint Infection in Australia and New Zealand Observational (PIANO) Study
- International variation in complications post hip and knee replacement (Dr Foster).
- International variation in Prosthetic Joint Infection and treatment strategies across Australia, Europe and United States using administrative data (Dr Foster).