Aeromedical and Retrieval
Monash University has an established record in providing outstanding education and training for Intensive Care and Advanced Life Support Paramedics during their transition to the highly specialised Aeromedical and Retrieval role. Aeromedical and Retrieval paramedics often provide one of the highest levels of pre-hospital care in the world by facilitating the safe and effective transfer of critically unwell patients to specialist receiving hospitals as well as the retrieval and rescue of these patients from challenging environments.
Aeromedical and Retrieval Specialisation
This specialisation is designed to provide paramedics with the necessary education and training for the specialist aeromedical and retrieval role as well as leadership, education and research positions. Students will initially undertake specialist aeromedical and retrieval education and training as well as education in advanced integrated healthcare practice before going on to completing specialty elective study. The aeromedical and retrieval stream will provide students with the necessary education and training to successfully complete an aeromedical and retrieval internship/program with a specified retrieval service provider in order to provide specialist aeromedical, retrieval, rescue and coordination roles in your area of clinical practice.
PART A. Advanced healthcare and specialist studies (42 points)
- PAR5200 Introduction to Aeromedical and Retrieval Concepts
- PAR5210 Aeromedical and Retrieval Professional Practice
- PAR5230 Aeromedical and Retrieval Coordination
- PAR5240 Aeromedical Retrieval Rescue
- PAR5220 Aeromedical and Retrieval Clinical 1 – Advanced Life Support/Critical Care or PAR5250 Aeromedical and Retrieval Clinical 2 – Intensive Care
- MAP5003 Essentials of Advanced Healthcare Practice and Research (12 points)
PART B. Specialist elective studies (30 points)
Specialty coursework units
- Other advanced specialty study units from Part A outside of the Extended Care specialist stream.
- RAD5502 Principles of General Radiography Image Interpretation
- FOR5001 Medical Evidence
- FOR5003 Ethics, Medicine and the Law
- ASC5002 Sociocultural perspectives of addiction
- MPH5267 Principles of healthcare quality improvement
- MPH5286 Applying and practicing the principles of patient safety and quality improvement
- MAP5000 Research in Advanced Healthcare Professional Practice (12 points)
- MAP5010 Advanced Health Practice Research Project (12 points)