Associate Professor Peter Malliaras
BPhysio (Hons), PhD
Telephone: +61 3 9904 4502
Facsimile: +61 3 9904 4812
Peter Malliaras is an Associate Professor in the Department of Physiotherapy. His research focus is musculoskeletal disorders, sports medicine and tendinopathy. In 2006 he completed his PhD in tendinopathy identifying novel risk factors, and since has undertaken post-doctoral research in the UK and Australia. Peter maintains a strong clinical focus, specializing in difficult tendinopathy cases and delivering clinical postgraduate education for clinicians in Australia and internationally.
2005: Best Lower Limb paper (first author), 2005 Sports Medicine Australia Conference ‘Patellar tendons with pain and normal imaging’
2006: Official team member, Commonwealth Games, Australia
2013: Best Sports Paper: APA conference, Melbourne. ‘Achilles and patellar tendinopathy loading programs’
PTY 2031 Theme 5 – Research
- Cook JL, Malliaras P, De Luca J, Ptasznik R, Morris M & Goldie P(2004).Neovascularisation and pain in abnormal patellar tendons of active jumping athletes. Clin J Sports Med. 14: 296-299
- Cook JL, Malliaras P, De Luca J, Ptasznik R, Morris M & Khan K (2005). High reproducibility of patellar tendon vascularity assessed by colour Doppler ultrasonography: a reliable measurement tool for quantifying tendon pathology. Br J Sports Med. 39:700-703
- Cook JL. Malliaras P (2005). Vascularity and pain in the patellar tendon of adult jumping athletes: a 5 month longitudinal study Br J Sports Med. 2005, 39(7):458-461
- Cook JL, Kiss Z, Ptasznik R & Malliaras P (2005). Is vascularity more evident after exercise? Implications for tendon imaging. Am J Roent. 185:1138-1140
- Malliaras P, Cook J, Ptasznik R & Thomas S (2006). Prospective study of change in patellar tendon pain and tendon imaging over a season. Br J Sports Med. 40: 272-274.
- Malliaras P & Cook JL (2006). Patellar tendons with pain and normal imaging. Imaging and pain status over a season. Clin J Sports Med. 16: 388-391.
- Malliaras P, Cook JL & Kent P (2006). Reduced ankle dorsiflexion range may increase the risk of patellar tendon injury among volleyball players. J Sci Med Sport. 9: 304-309
- Malliaras P, Cook JL & Kent P (2007). Anthropometric risk factors for patellar tendon injury among volleyball players. Br J Sports Med. 41: 259-263
- Garau G, Rittweger J, Malliaras P, Longo UG & Maffulli N (2008). Traumatic patellar tendinopathy. Disab Rehab. 30: 1616-1620
- Malliaras P, Richards PJ, Garau G and Maffulli N (2008). Achilles Tendon Doppler Flow May Be Associated With Mechanical Loading Among Active Athletes. Am J Sports Med. 36: 2210-2215
- Malliaras P, Hogan A, Nawrocki A, Crossley K, Schache A (2009). Hip flexibility and strength measures: reliability and association with athletic groin pain. Br J Sports Med. 43:739-744
- Malliaras P, Richards P, Garau G, Maffulli N & Cook J (2010). Temporal sequence of gray-scale ultrasound changes and their association with neovascularity and pain in the patellar tendon. Br J Sports Med. 44: 944-947
- Malliaras P, Richards PJ, Garau G & Maffulli, N (2011). Achilles tendon shape and echogenicity on ultrasound among active badminton players. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 22: 149-155
- Malliaras P & Cook J (2011). Changes in anteroposterior patellar tendon diameter support a continuum of pathological changes. Br J Sports Med. 45: 1048-1051
- Williams J, Tzortziou-Brown V, Perry M, Malliaras P & Kipps C (2012). Hydration strategies of runners in the London Marathon. Clin J Sports Med. 22: 152-156
- de Groot R, Malliaras P, Munteanu S, Payne C, Morrissey D & Maffulli N (2012). Foot posture and patellar tendon pain among adult volleyball players. Clin J Sports Med. 22: 157-159
- Jhigan S, Perry M, O’Driscoll G, Lewin C, Teatino R, Malliaras P & Morrissey D (2012). Do ultrasound abnormalities in asymptomatic Achilles tendons of elite soccer players predict symptoms one year later? Muscle Ligament Tendon. 1: 51-56.
- Tardioli A, Malliaras P & Maffulli N (2012). Immediate and short-term effects of exercise on tendon structure: biochemical, biomechanical and imaging responses. Br Med Bull. 103(1): 169-202
- Malliaras P, Chan O, Grewal S, Martinez de Albornoz Torrente P, Morrissey D & Maffulli N. (2012) Doppler ultrasound signal in Achilles tendinopathy reduces immediately after activity. Int J Sports Med. 33(6): 480-4
- Price J, Malliaras P & Hudson Z. (2012) Current practices in determining return to play following head injury in professional football in the UK. Br J Sports Med 46(14): 1000-3
- Barton C, Kennedy A, Twycross-Lewis R, Woledge R, Malliaras P & Morrissey D (2012). Gluteal muscle activation during squatting exercises with and without a Swiss ball. Phys Ther Sport 39(7): 532-40
- Dhamu H, Malliaras P, Twycross-Lewis R & Maffulli N. (2012) A systematic review of resting left ventricular systolic and diastolic function and adaptation in elite weightlifters. Br Med Bull. 104:129-41
- Littlewood C, Malliaras P, Mawson S, May S & Walters S (2013). Development of a self-managed exercise program for rotator cuff tendinopathy. Physiother. 99(4):358-62
- Littlewood C, Malliaras P, Mawson S, May S & Walters S (2013). Self-managed loaded exercise versus usual physiotherapy treatment for rotator cuff tendinopathy: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Physiother. 100:54-60
- Littlewood C, Malliaras P, Mawson S, May S & Walters S (2013). Patients with rotator cuff tendinopathy can successfully self-manage, but with certain caveats: a qualitative study. Physiother. 100:80-5
- Malliaras P, Kamal B, Nowell A, Farley T, Dhamu H, Simpson V, Morrissey D, Langberg H, Maffulli N & Reeves N (2013). Patellar tendon adaptation in relation to load intensity and contraction type. J Biomech. 46:1893-9
- Comin J, Cook J, Malliaras P, McCormack M, Calleja M, Clarke A & Connell D (2013). The prevalence and clinical significance of sonographic tendon abnormalities in asymptomatic ballet dancers: a 24-month longitudinal study. Br J Sports Med. 47(2):89-92
- Comin J, Malliaras P, Baquie P, Barbour T & Connell D (2013). Return to Competitive Play After Hamstring Injuries Involving Disruption of the Central Tendon. Am J Sports Med. 41(1):111-5
- Laupheimer M; Perry M; Malliaras P; Berdejo-del-Fresno D; Maffulli N; Hemmings S. (2013). Resveratrol: A review of basic science and potencial indications in sports and exercise medicine. J Sport Health Res. 5(3):237-250.
- Drumm O, Chan O, Malliaras P, Morrissey D & Maffulli N (2014). High-volume image-guided injection for recalcitrant medial collateral ligament injuries of the knee. Clin Radiol. 69:e211-e215
- Aweid O, Gallie R, Morrissey D, Crisp T, Maffulli N, Malliaras P & Padhiar N (2014). Medial tibial pain pressure threshold algometry in runners. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 22:1549-55.
- Lack S, Barton C, Malliaras P, Twycross-Lewis R, Woledge R & Morrissey D (2014). The effect of anti-pronation foot orthoses on hip and knee kinematics and muscle activity during a functional step-up task in healthy individuals: A laboratory study. Clin Biomech. 29:177-82
- Morton S, Morrissey D, Valle X, Chan O, Langberg, Malliaras P. (2014). Equivalence of online and clinician administration of a patellar tendinopathy risk factor and severity questionnaire. 25(5):670-7
- Malliaropoulos N, Korakakis V, Christodoulou D, Padhiar N, Pyne D, Glakas G, Nauck T, Malliaras P, Lohrer H. (2014) Development and validation of a questionnaire (FASH – functional assessment scale for acute hamstring injuries): to measure the severity and impact of symptoms on function and sports ability in patients with acute hamstring injures. Br J Sports Med. 48(22):1607-12
- Ooi C, Schneider M, Malliaras P, Chadwick M, Connell D. (2015) Diagnostic Performance of Axial-Strain Sonoelastography in Confirming Clinically Diagnosed Achilles Tendinopathy: Comparison with B-Mode Ultrasound and Color Doppler Imaging. Ultrasound Med Biol 41(1):15-25
- Ooi CC, Schneider ME, Malliaras P, Jones D, Saunders S, McMahon A, Connell D. (2015) Sonoelastography of the Achilles Tendon: Prevalence and Prognostic Value Among Asymptomatic Elite Australian Rules Football Players. Clin J Sports Med. In press
- Malliaropoulos N, Kakoura L, Tsitas K, Christodoulou D, Siozos A, Malliaras P, Maffulli N. (2015) Active knee range of motion assessment in elite track and field athletes: normative values. Muscles, Ligaments & Tendons J. 5(3): 203-207
- Tsaklis P, Malliaropoulos N, Mendiguchia J, Korakaki V, Tsapralis K, Pyne D, Malliaras P. (2015) Muscle and intensity based hamstring exercise classification in elite female track and field athletes: implications for exercise selection during rehabilitation. J Sports Med. 6:1-9
- Ooi CC, Schneider ME, Malliaras P, Counsel P, Connell D. (2015) Prevalence of morphological and mechanical stiffness alterations of mid Achilles tendons in asymptomatic marathon runners before and after a competition. Skeletal Radiol. 44(8):1119-40
- Ooi CC, Richards P, Maffulli N, Ede D, Schneider ME, Connell D, Morrissey D, Malliaras P. (2015) A soft patellar tendon on ultrasound elastography is associated with pain and functional deficit in volleyball players. J Sci Med Sports In press
- Malliaras P & Maffulli N (2008). A review of eccentric training programs in the treatment of lateral elbow tendinopathy (Invited review): Disability Rehabil. 30: 1590-1596 (INVITED)
- Aweid O, Del Buono A, Malliaras P, Iqbal H, Morrissey D, Maffulli N & Padhiar N (2012). Systematic review and recommendations for intracompartmental pressure monitoring in diagnosing chronic exertional compartment syndrome of the leg. Clin J Sports Med. 22(4): 356-70
- Rowe B, Hemmings S, Barton C, Malliaras P, Maffulli N & Morrissey D (2012). Conservative management of mid-portion Achilles tendinopathy: a mixed methods study, integrating systematic review and clinical reasoning. Sports Med.39(11): 941-6
- Malliaropoulos N, Mendiguchia J, Pehlivanidis H, Papadopoulos S, Valle X, Malliaras P & Maffulli N. (2012) Hamstring exercises for track and field athletes: injury and exercise biomechanics, and possible implications for exercise selection and primary prevention. Br J Sports Med. 46(12): 846-51
- Herman K, Barton C, Malliaras P & Morrissey D. 2012 The effectiveness of neuromuscular warm-up strategies, that require no additional equipment, for preventing lower limb injuries during sports participation: a systematic review. Biomed Cent. 10:75
- Malliaras P, Barton C, Reeves N & Langberg H (2013). Achilles and patellar tendinopathy loading programs: a systematic review comparing clinical outcomes and identifying potential mechanisms for effectiveness. Sports Med.43(4):267-86
- Littlewood C, Malliaras P, Bateman M, Stace R, May S & Walters S (2013). The central nervous system - An additional consideration in ‘rotator cuff tendinopathy’ and a potential basis for understanding response to loaded therapeutic exercise. Man Ther. 18:468-72
- Barton C, Lack S, Malliaras P & Morrissey D (2013). Gluteal muscle activity and patellofemoral pain syndrome: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 47:207-214 \
- Malliaras P (2013). Tendon Injury Rehabilitation Under Review. In Australasian Scientist. Nov 2013
- Ooi C, Malliaras P, Schneider M & Connell D (2014). “Soft, hard, or just right?” Applications and limitations of axial-strain sonoelastography and shear-wave elastography in the assessment of tendon injuries. Skeletal Radiol. 43(1):1-12
- Malliaras P & Purdam C (2014). Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy Assessment and Management. Sport Health. 32(1): 21-9
- Valle X, Tol J, Hamilton B, Rodas G, Malliaras P, Malliaropoulos N, Rizo V, Moreno M, Jardi J. (2015) Hamstring Muscle Injuries, a Rehabilitation Protocol Purpose. Asian J Sports Med. 6(4):e25411
- Littlewood C, Malliaras P, Chance-Larsen K. (2015) Therapeutic exercise for rotator cuff tendinopathy: a systematic review of contextual factors and prescription parameters. In J Rehabil Res. 38(2):95-106
- Malliaras P, Cook J, Purdam C, Rio E. (2015) Patellar Tendinopathy: Clinical Diagnosis, Load Management, and Advice for Challenging Case Presentations. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 45(11):887-898.
- Barton C, Bonnano D, Carr J, Neal B, Malliaras P, Franklyn-Miller A, Menz H. (2016). Running retraining to treat lower limb injuries: a mixed-methods study of current evidence synthesised with expert opinion. Br J Sports Med. In press
- Kloskowska P, Morrissey D, Small C, Malliaras P & Barton C. Movement Patterns and Muscular Function Before and After Onset of Sports-Related Groin Pain: A Systematic Review with Meta-analysis. Sports Med. In press
- Goom T, Malliaras P, Reiman M & Purdam P. (2016) Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy: Clinical Aspects of Assessment and Management. . J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 46(6): 483-493.
- Silbernagel K, Malliaras P & Karlsson J (2011). Non-invasive conservative management: current concepts. In: Problems around the Achilles tendon insertion. 1st Ed.
- Malliaras P, Antoniou N & Morrissey D (2013). Rehabilitation of Musculoskeletal Injuries in Extreme Sports. In: Adventure and Extreme Sports Injuries: Epidemiology, Treatment, Rehabilitation and Prevention. 1st Ed. Springer
- Silbernagel K, Malliaras P, Brorsson A & Karlsson J (2013). Non-invasive non-surgical treatment and rehabilitation for midportion and insertional Achilles tendinopathy. In: Problems around the Achilles tendon. 2nd Ed.
- Langberg H, Malliaras P, Morrissey D, Chan O, Boesen M, Boesen A (in press). High volume image guided injections of the Achilles tendon. In: Advanced Techniques in Musculoskeletal Medicine & Physiotherapy using minimally invasive therapies in practice.1st Ed.
- Stasinopoulos D & Malliaras P (2016). Is it time to abandon the myth that eccentric training is best practice? Biol Exer. 12 (1), 15-21