Professor Brian Priestly
BPharm, MPharm, PhD
Head, Australian Centre for Human Health Risk Assessment (ACHHRA)
Mobile: 0413 607 285
Brian was appointed as the inaugural Director of ACHHRA in December 2003. Since 2009, this position has been on a part-time basis. ACHHRA is now affiliated with the Monash Centre for Occupational & Environmental Health (MonCOEH) and its mission is to provide a national focus for environmental health risk assessment, primarily in the area of food and environmental pollutants. Its expertise in toxicology and environmental health sciences has been keenly sought by Commonwealth and State government agencies in support of various projects. Its particular expertise in the safety evaluation of nanomaterials has assisted government agencies with regulatory activities for this emerging technology.
Prior to leading ACHHRA, Brian was Director of the Laboratories Branch of the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) from 2001–03, and from 1992–2001, he was scientific Director of the chemicals toxicology and chemicals risk management programs of the Commonwealth health portfolio.
Some of his recent Committee activities are:
- Australian Drug Evaluation Committee (Associate member – toxicology)
- Australasian College of Toxicology & Risk Assessment (President)
- NICNAS Advisory Group on Nanotechnology (member)
- Gene Technology Technical Advisory Committee (member)
- Expert advisory panel for the SE Queensland recycled water project (member)
- Community Consultative Committee for the Botany Industrial Park remediation programs