Heat and Work – a Short Course
This day long short course is designed to strengthen your ability to address health-relevant effects of working in a hot environment as heatwaves are forecast to become more frequent and intense.
It will extend theoretical understanding and present practical solutions in managing workers and workplaces with problems resulting from heat.
- Better identify risk factors for heat-related occupational illness and injury
- Learn to recognise the increased risk of heat-related illness associated with climate change
- Improve your skills in evaluating the occupational environment for heat stress/strain
- Gain a deeper understanding of the key features of the Australian OH&S regulatory framework to mimimizing the risk of heat-related occupational illness and injury
- Learn where to locate important key supporting documents and guidance materials
The course for 2017 is closed. Dates for 2018 have not been confirmed.
Who would benefit?
- Safety Advisors
- Environmental Health Officers
- Medical Professionals
- AFOEM & AFPHM Trainees and Fellows
- Occupational Hygienists
Other Health and Safety Professionals
This course has been approved by AIOH for 1CM point.
- Who is particularly vulnerable to heat effects? Can they be excluded?
- The ageing workforce
- Standards and guidelines
- AIOH Thermal risk assessment model
- Managing outdoor work, heat and solar loading
- Climate change & impact on occupational health
A mixture of presentations and case studies culminating in a workshop to apply participants knowledge and develop their skills.
- Assoc Prof Deborah Glass COH FIOH PhD, Monash University
- Dr Ross Di Corleto COH FIOH PhD, Principal Adviser - Health Risk, Rio Tinto Global
- Dr Geza Benke COH FIOH PhD, Senior Research Fellow, Monash University
- Dr David Goddard FAFOEM MPHE, Monash University and former AFOEM Physician Educator
- Ms Judith McInnes MPH, Monash University
How to register
Registration for this course is now closed.
The cost of the course is $440. This covers morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea catering and course materials.
Phone: + 61 3 9903 0584