Final year placements in cardiology in Bendigo
Undertake a final year rotation in Cardiology in Bendigo with the School of Rural Health Bendigo and Bendigo Health.
Where: Bendigo Health – Anne Caudle Campus
The Cardiology Unit provides a wide range of medical services for patients with cardiac conditions. The team of professionals consists of nurses and medical staff working in close liaison with allied health services. The Cardiology team at Bendigo Health consists of three Consultants, one Consultant Intensivist, one Registrar and one Intern. The final year pre-intern student will be an integral part of the team and will perform many of the roles and functions of the Interns, including buddying with the Intern at least once a week for the late cover shift.
The department runs an active teaching program for undergraduates, junior doctors, registrars and consultants, including:
- weekly Grand Round
- weekly tutorials with staff physician
- daily ward rounds/bedside teaching
- Journal Club
- M&M meetings
- Multi-disciplinary meetings
There are also separate teaching programs for students through Monash and for residents and registrars in the hospital.
There is one pre-intern position with the Cardiology Team. This position is entrenched within the team and is a fully integrated member with specific responsibilities that are appropriate for students preparing for independent practice as interns. As a pre-intern you will:
- admit and share responsibility for ongoing management of a specified number of patients under the direct supervision of the registrar
- work within the acute admissions unit under registrar supervision
- attend cardiology clinics and clerk patients, presenting them to the consultant
- review a specified number of patients under supervision at weekly clinics and demonstrate good note taking and letter writing skills
- attend echocardiography, coronary CT and percutaneous coronary intervention procedures
- have direct experience in performing clinical procedures relevant to cardiology – echo, TOES, coronary CT, stress testing, holter monitoring, PCIs and pacemakers.