Final year paediatrics placements in Bendigo
Travis, baby Quinn and paediatrician Dr Janaka Tennakoon
Undertake a final year placement in paediatrics in Bendigo with the School of Rural Health Bendigo and Bendigo Health.
Where: Bendigo Health
The Paediatric Unit includes:
- five consultants, four registrars, five residents
- special care baby unit (SCBU) for newborn infants
- 14-bed Child and Adolescent Unit (CAU) for children after the newborn period and right up to late adolescence
- busy Emergency Department (ED), where 25% of all visits are paediatric
- two busy outpatient clinics, one for ward follow-up and rapid review, and the other for external referrals
The department runs an active teaching program for undergraduates, junior doctors, registrars and consultants that includes:
- a weekly case-based meeting in general paediatrics
- a weekly paediatric x-ray meeting; and
- a monthly mortality and morbidity audit
There are also separate teaching programs for students through Monash and for residents and registrars in the hospital.
A special position has been created in the paediatric team for a senior medical student preparing for internship with a possible future interest in paediatrics as a career. This position has been specifically designed to meet the needs of pre-intern students at Monash University or Melbourne University. As the pre-intern you will become a fully integrated member of the team with specific responsibilities that are appropriate for students preparing for independent practice as interns.