Grievance Procedures for Students

Monash University is committed to ensuring all students have a positive experience with the University and its staff.

See Student Grievances for information on how matters of concern can be submitted.

As outlined in the University Student Grievances, once you have completed steps 1 and 2 and not satisfied with the outcome, you can lodge a formal complaint by completing the Grievance Lodgement Form outlined in step 3

For advice or to lodge the completed Grievance Lodgement Form please email:, including your full name, student ID and contact details. Please note that a grievance can only be actioned on completion of the form.

Student Rights Officers and the Monash Postgraduate Association are available to provide independent advocacy, assistance and advice if required.

updated: 27/02/2018 cn