Provision of adequate supervision
Where possible, all students should be allocated two supervisors. The academic supervisor must be a member of academic staff from within one of the teaching schools of the Faculty. In the case of a supervisor being from another school or from outside the university, for example MonashHealth or another hospital, an academic supervisor from the relevant school and with knowledge, expertise and interest in the student’s research topic will be nominated as co-supervisor.
The second supervisor must have at least one of:
- Be an active researcher.
- Have completed Level 1 supervisor training (from 2015) (http://intranet.monash.edu.au/migr/staff/supervision/level1.html),
It is expected that both supervisors will:
- Have had supervision experience
- Have access to adequate resources.
- Be available during the relevant academic year. Supervisors cannot be away for long periods of time; and
- Meet with the students at least once every fortnight during the semester of enrolment for full time students and once a month for part time students.
In the event that supervisors are absent from the university for longer than two weeks within a given semester, it is important that an alternative source of assistance for the student is available.