Dudley McArdle CSC BA
Dudley McArdle CSC, BA served for 28 years as an officer in the Royal Australian Air Force and was awarded the Conspicuous Service Cross in the military division of the Order of Australia. He is the proprietor of the DMac DIRECTIONS emergency management consultancy.
Since November 2009 he has worked as the Monash University Emergency Management Senior Policy Advisor reviewing and contributing to their emergency management education and research programs, and providing emergency management advice and support to the Monash Emergency Management Forum.
Dudley has provided consultancy services to the World Health Organisation in Geneva, to the Federal Department of Health and Ageing and to the Victorian Departments of Health, Human Services and Justice. He has facilitated exercises, training programs and evaluations for various State and Federal government departments and agencies. He has designed and conducted a number of leadership programs for senior emergency managers.
He recently worked for a number of years in the United Nations in the Health Action in Crises Cluster in the World Health Organisation in Geneva.
In a long career in emergency management, he has served as:
- Director of Emergency Management for the Victorian Departments of Health and Human Services
- Director of the Australian Emergency Management Institute
- Director of Emergency Management Australia, the Australian Government's national emergency management agency.
He has been a member of a number of peak Australian State and National health and emergency management committees including:
- the Australian Health Protection Committee
- the Victorian Emergency Management Council
- the Victorian Central Government Response Committee
He has participated in a number of international humanitarian field missions including:
- a multinational mission to review recovery arrangements following the Gujarat, India earthquake, 2001
- managed the Australian medical team in Indonesia post-tsunami, 2004
- leader of a multiagency team assessing the health response to Cyclone Nargis, Myanmar, 2008
- twice led multiagency teams assessing the health system's response to events in the occupied Palestinian territories (Gaza) 2008, 2009
Dudley is a valued member of Monash University Disaster Resilience Initiative team and is completing his Master of Philosophy - 'The community's contribution to the shared responsibility for national disaster resilience' at MUARC.