Monash University Collection
Location: Faculty of Engineering courtyard, 23 College Walk, Clayton campus
Inge King dedicated her long life to pioneering sculptural abstraction in Australia. Arriving in Melbourne in 1951 after surviving two world wars, King established herself as one of Australia’s foremost sculptors – one of the few female sculptors to be recognised in a field dominated by men. Cantilever, installed in the courtyard of Monash University’s Engineering Faculty, is characteristic of King’s approach. Like the popular Forward surge 1974-81 installed on the lawn between Victorian Arts Centre’s Hammer Hall and Theatres Building, the work inserts architectural dynamism into its surrounds. Emerging from the ground as if attempting lift off, King’s sculpture utilises welded steel to reinvigorate concepts of public sculpture, distancing itself from traditional figurative monuments.