Celebrating Monash's Australia Day Honours
The passion, dedication and years of service of dozens of Monash staff, alumni, former colleagues and donors have been recognised with Australia Day Awards for 2021.
Monash University President and Vice-Chancellor Professor Margaret Gardner AC congratulated all those who received an award, and said their research, education and community engagement demonstrates what Monash works so hard to achieve – the betterment of the communities we serve.
“These awards are an important recognition of the significant contributions these individuals make to Australia. We have been fortunate at Monash to have the benefit of their contributions to our community,” Professor Gardner said.
“Their passion, dedication and years of service to a broad range of areas of expertise, including research, education and community engagement, demonstrates what Monash works so hard to achieve – the betterment of the communities we serve.”
The following recipients received an Officer of the Order (AO) award:
- Professor Bill Charman for distinguished service to tertiary education, particularly to the pharmaceutical sciences, and to professional organisations.
- Professor Susan Davis for distinguished service to medicine, to women's health as a clinical endocrinologist and researcher, and to medical education.
- Emeritus Professor Andrew Markus for distinguished service to tertiary education, particularly to the study of Jewish civilisation, as a sociologist and demographer, and to multiculturalism.
- Professor Helen O’Connell for distinguished service to medical education, and to medicine, in the field of urology, as an academic and clinician, and to professional groups.
There were numerous Monash recipients of a Member of the Order (AM), including:
- Peter Marshall, for significant service to tertiary education administration, and to professional associations.
- Professor John Thwaites for significant service to the environment, and to the
people and Parliament of Victoria.
A full list of the Monash community members who received a 2021 Australia Day award can be viewed here.